MacBooks forum

Question

iCloud won't accept my id

by LolaAngell33 / June 28, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

I'm ashamed to come here with this because in the past, many of you have advised backup, backup, BACKUP, and I have thought it not necessary or too much trouble...... now, I know better. I posted an inquiry about lost folders in my mail account and no one answered.... I have to presume you all thought.... "she asked for it." And, I don't blame you. Now to another problem.... iCloud won't accept my id when trying to set it up. I got a Welcome email from Apple stating that my email address was my id for iCloud and sent me to the site. I went there, entered my id and it was promptly rejected. I have tried several times with the same results. Anyone feel like giving me some advise on this?
Thanks,
Old Granny Lola

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iCloud won't accept my id
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iCloud won't accept my id
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I doubt it was your Apple ID that was rejected,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 5:00 AM PDT

more likely it was your password.

Been a while since I created my iCloud account, does Apple give you a temporary password to start you off?

P

Collapse -
It was my id
by LolaAngell33 / June 28, 2013 5:13 AM PDT

When I opened iCloud from System Prefs, a window opened with a list of "Mail & Notes," "Contacts," etc. Mail & Notes was not checked, so I checked it.... that's when my id was rejected. "Photo Stream" also was not checked. Was I not supposed to check either of them? Was I supposed to click on "Manage?" And if so, are there instructions?

Thanks, Peter

Old Granny

Collapse -
Open System Preferences
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: It was my id

and click the Account Details button.
See if you can log in there.

Those check boxes just indicate what items go up to the cloud. You can leave the Manage button alone for now.

P

Collapse -
Open System Prefs
by LolaAngell33 / June 29, 2013 1:55 AM PDT

OK, I went there and it shows that I am apparently logged in because it only shows "Account Details," "Sign Out," and the list of items.....and, down in the lower right hand corner "Manage." What do I do here? And if you tell me to click on "Manage," will I be able to go back and check "Mail & Notes," to have them stored?

Thanks,

ld Granny

Collapse -
you really do not need to be doing anything with the Manage
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 29, 2013 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Open System Prefs

button.

On the first screen, the one with your name, account details and sign out, in the right hand pane, you can check and uncheck to your hearts content.

Do you have anything else Apple? Like an iPod, iPad or iPhone?

If yes, then checking Photo Stream will enable you to see the pictures you have in iPhoto on your Mac, on either of those devices.

As for mail, where do you get your email from right now? In other words, what are the words after the @ sign in your email address?

P

Collapse -
I don't have

an iPod or iPhone...... my email address ends with "@q.com"...... it used to be supplied by Quest, that's the why of the "q," I presume. The phone company changed it's name. I live in the midwest and there are several companies we could choose from.

I don't understand how this is going to work..... it may not. I am using Apple mail.

Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Without either of those devices, the cloud has only limited
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have

value to you.
You could sign up for a free @icloud address but you would still have to use some internet company to connect to it.

With an iDevice and the Cloud, you would be able to keep all your devices in sync with each other. Read your mail on any device and have your contacts and calendars all working together and stream your pictures to whomever you gave permission to.

Other than that, and you being sans iPhone/iPod/iPad, you could still stream your pictures from iPhoto and keep your music up there too.

P

Collapse -
Well, poo

it doesn't sound like it will help me at all.... I don't mind paying for an online backup service. I just need to know which one will be the most reliable and easiest to use. I want to back up everything, hopefully my music and photos as well. I am so ignorant about these things.

Thanks for your time Peter.....

Old Granny

Collapse -
Carbonite and Mozy are two of the well known
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2013 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, poo

on-line backup places.
Both of them can backup your entire computer, it's a bit slow but it eventually gets there.

Check them out and see which one you prefer.

I use Carbonite but find it to be a bit of a resource hog.

I have no experience with Mozy

Peter

Collapse -
Carbonite and Mozy
by LolaAngell33 / July 2, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

I tried Mozy once and got disgusted with it, so I will check out Carbonite..... I'm hoping I can have one thing at a time done, such as Quicken, then documents, etc. I understand it takes a considerable amount of time, so will just have to be patient.

Thanks,

Old Granny

Collapse -
Best to do the whole 9 yards
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 2, 2013 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Carbonite and Mozy

at once.

P

Collapse -
Best to do the whole 9 yards at once
by LolaAngell33 / July 2, 2013 11:02 AM PDT

I don't remember doing anything to start Carbonite, but it looks like it's going to try to do all at once. The status at this point shows:

"Your backup contains: 4.54 GB (45,578 files)
Awaiting backup: 5.70 GB (11,906 files)"

Of course the numbers continue to change. I hope it gets done before Friday morning, Jul 5th. We are planning on going camping and I wanted to take my MacBook with me. And, if it's not done, can I unplug it until we get to the campground where they have Wifi? Will it pick up where it left off and continue?

I understand I can continue using the internet for other things, but can I quit Safari while Carbonite is doing it's thing?

Is there a way to check the names of the files that have been backed up?

I'm just full of questions tonight. Thanks, Peter

Old Granny Lola

Collapse -
Safari does not need to be on at all
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 2, 2013 9:44 PM PDT

when the Carbonite backup is running.
Carbonite runs in the background, regardless of what you are doing, and the only time it stops is when the machine is asleep or off.

Yes, take your machine camping. It will not be a problem.

You could even turn off the Carbonite backup by going to System Preferences > Carbonite and turning it to Disabled.
That will stop it doing anything at all until you turn it back on again.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.