Mac OS forum

General discussion

iCal locates only partial list of known recorded events...

by seromlig5 / November 4, 2009 4:05 AM PST

This appears to affect only one of several calendars I maintain in iCal. When I search for a keyword, I get results only up through June ?09. Have tried deleting iCal-related prefs in home library. Have run Disk Utility thrice.

imac7,1
OS 10.5.8

Many thanks for any suggestions offered...

Greg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iCal locates only partial list of known recorded events...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iCal locates only partial list of known recorded events...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that's weird
by Mr. Gregg / November 5, 2009 2:19 AM PST

Not that it will help you figure out what happened, but...
Have you tried deleting one that you know should show up and re-entering it? If it then shows up, you have a work-around, but no answer.

I just tried a search on something that repeats every month, and has no end date specified. It was found from August 2008 to November 2011. So, there are limits to the search function. I don't know where to find them. Didn't see anything in Preferences.

Collapse -
weird is right...
by seromlig5 / November 7, 2009 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: that's weird

Just tried, as per your suggestion, deleting and re-entering an event with the keyword I was seeking, and the find function is now able to locate it. Well, I guess I could try deleting and re-entering every entry in all of my calendars from the end of June through the present! Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to consider and respond to my inquiry!

Collapse -
Here's what I'd try next
by Mr. Gregg / November 8, 2009 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: weird is right...

Open your Home folder > Library > Preferences
(gotta be in that Home folder - there's more than one Library folder)
Locate this file: com.apple.iCal.plist
Drag that file to the Desktop
Fire up iCal
Test your search

Does it work better?
If so, you can Trash the file on your Desktop.
The OS made a new one for you, go look first.

Is everything all screwed up instead?
Don't fret, just move that file back to Preferences.
Everything will be back to the way it was, including the problem you're trying to fix.

Collapse -
Thanks, again, Mr. Gregg...
by seromlig5 / November 9, 2009 2:20 AM PST

...but as mentioned in my initial inquiry, I had tried deleting, not only the plist file but all the com.apple.iCal files, with no improvement. Tried removing the plist file again, however, but still no change. I think I'll just set aside some time to go through all of the entries for that particular calendar and do something you had suggested earlier - copy, delete, and re-paste because that seems to render those entries discoverable. I guess this will have to remain as one of those mysteries, although I suspect this has something to do with some difficulties I had syncing iCal with my old Treo 650. But again, I greatly appreciate your kindly taking the time to explore this problem for me!

Collapse -
another approach?
by Mr. Gregg / November 10, 2009 3:27 AM PST

I had forgotten that you mentioned deleting pref files above. Maybe you should print out that calendar, then eradicate it and create a new one. If something in it is messed up, how do we know it won't implode on you again?

Collapse -
iCal missing events
by centurion48 / November 10, 2009 2:20 PM PST

Do the events still exist?
Select the calendar and go menu Calendar > Refresh.
Does a search find the missing events?
If not, note the details of a couple of recent events then go to ~/Library/Calendars and open each calendar in turn until you find the dodgy one.
But, you say, all I see is strangely named .ics files.
Right click on the folder for that calendar and turn on show preview. Then, when you scroll down the list the event detail shows in the preview.
Check to see if post-June events are still there.
regards,
centurion48

Collapse -
iCal missing events
by seromlig5 / November 11, 2009 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: iCal missing events

Thanks for replying to my post.

Refresh is dimmed for all my calendars, including the offending one, even when each calendar is selected.

Collapse -
same here
by Mr. Gregg / November 12, 2009 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: iCal missing events

From iCal Help:

If you?ve published any calendars on the Internet, you may want to update them to show your latest changes. Or if you?ve subscribed to any calendars, you may want to check for updates periodically to be sure you have the latest information available.

To update calendars you?ve published or subscribed to:
To manually update a calendar you?ve published, select the calendar in the Calendars list, and then choose Calendar > Refresh. If someone has subscribed to your calendar, they can choose Refresh to update their copy with your latest published changes.

It doesn't seem that this function applies to the situation at hand. If there's an easy route to recovery, I sure don't know where to find it.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by hawkins--2008 / November 12, 2009 3:08 AM PST

I have the same issue. I can search on a calendar page with the item I'm searching for visible, and iCal comes up with nothing (did that as a test). There was something on the Apple forums about forcing Spotlight to re-index the drive. This apparently worked for someone else, but no change for me.

I have a MacBook Pro5,1; OSX 10.6.1; iCal 4.0

Collapse -
Problem unsolved, but I think I now know what to avoid...
by seromlig5 / November 12, 2009 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

Thanks for your post, hawkins--2008. Tried re-indexing the drive with the Spotlight system preference panel - no change for me either - but after tinkering with this and cutting and re-pasting several of the entries, as kindly suggested by Mr. Gregg above (thanks again!) it dawned on me the that all of the entries in the calendar that is giving me trouble are part of the same recurring "event". I maintain this particular calendar as a log of my daily activities which can be categorized under four different headings. Rather than retype the four headings every day, however, I simply had the entry repeated ad infinitum, and I suspect Spotlight is unable for some reason to locate entries in this type of recurring event after they've been edited. So, I've deleted all future events for my log and will try maybe repeating one week or one month at a time. Will go back from time to time and cut and re-paste past entries in this calendar one by one so Spotlight can find events when I need it.

Collapse -
time saver
by Mr. Gregg / November 12, 2009 11:07 PM PST

I'm sure I don't fully understand what you're doing with this calendar, but to save time, why not use a code? You know what the four headings are. It's not hard to remember four items. Use the first letter only, if that works, or use numbers 1 to 4. You'll know what it's supposed to represent, so you don't have to type it every time.

Collapse -
Doesn't Help with my problem
by hawkins--2008 / November 12, 2009 11:20 PM PST

In my case, "find" doesn't find *anything*. I can sit on November 2009, looking at items that are there, do a search on one (say someone's name for an appointment). The results pane opens up at the bottom of the calendar, but with nothing in it. The same thing occurs whether it is a repeating item or not. An issue for me is that I don't know how long it has been acting this way, because I had not used "find" till this week, when I wanted to check on whether I had an appointment with a particular person sometime during winter/spring 2009. Very puzzling.

Collapse -
Have you updated your OS?
by Mr. Gregg / November 16, 2009 12:53 AM PST

You indicate that you're running 10.6.1 but 10.6.2 is out now.

Collapse -
Makes no difference
by hawkins--2008 / November 16, 2009 2:00 AM PST

Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm running 10.6.2 now, and nothing has changed.

Collapse -
com.apple.spotlight.plist
by Mr. Gregg / November 16, 2009 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Makes no difference

Find the above file in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences.
Move it to the Desktop, then try a search in Spotlight.
If that doesn't help, try again after a Restart.
No joy? You can either keep the new plist file that was created, or you can put the old one back, which will overwrite the new one.

Then you're back to square one.

Collapse -
tried dumping the spotlight plist file...
by seromlig5 / November 20, 2009 3:19 AM PST

Tried that the other day, and for a little while I thought it had helped, and although I have not done an exhaustive examination, it seems to me that Spotlight is simply incapable, for whatever reason, of finding a keyword in a recurring event that has been edited after it's been created. Thanks again, though, Mr. Gregg!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?