Laptops forum

General discussion

iBook vs. HP nx5000 vs. HPnc6000

by erinh / July 1, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

I am purchasing a laptop and am trying to decide between these 3 computers. The price doesn't really matter. I will be using the laptop for college as a liberal arts major. I'm going to need it for taking notes in class/library, internet use, wireless internet, word processing, watching DVDs, playing music, and storing digital pictures. Obviously, I want it to last for at least 4 years. If anyone could offer advice/opinions on which of the 3 I should get, I would really appreciate it. Here are the specs I would get for each:

1. Apple iBook
Apple PowerPC G4 1.25Ghz processor
512MB mem.
60 GB Hard Drive at 4200rpm
4.5 hr. battery
802.11bg wireless
14.1 inch screen
4.9 lbs

2. HP nx5000
Pentium M 1.8 GHz
512 MB mem.
60 GB hard drive at 5400 rpm
5 hr battery
Intel PRO 802.11 bg wireless
15 inch screen
6.3-6.8 lbs

3. HP nc6000
Pentium M 2 Ghz
512 MB mem.
Hard Drive: 40 GB at 5400 rpm
6 hr battery
Either: Intel PRO 802.11b or Mini PCI card 802.11 bg
14.1 screen
5.9-6.3 lbs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iBook vs. HP nx5000 vs. HPnc6000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iBook vs. HP nx5000 vs. HPnc6000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: iBook vs. HP nx5000 vs. HPnc6000
by KenSanramon / July 1, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Erin:

if you can use Apple instead of an IBM pc laptop for your college use than Apple has the highest ratings (See recent Consumer Reports) for reliability and support.

My friend who works in digital photography raves about Apples.

However, if like many people, you use a PC at work then you probably use one at home or school as well.

I definitely recommend you to get a Pentium M (Centrino line) notebook in an IBM PC if you don't go apple.

Your 4200 rpm hard drive in the Apple is the standard but it is much slower than the 5400rpm drive in the other two machines.

The 2.0 Pentium M (new Dothan line with 2.0mb L2 system Cache) is the top of the line right now so you are paying a huge premium for the 2.0. I would recommend getting a 1.7 Pentium M or a 1.8 Pentium M as those cost less but have the same Dothan chip updates over the older Banias chips 1.0-1.6 that had 1.0mb L2 system cache ( I have a 1.4 Pentium M in a Compaq X1360US and it works great but if buying now I would get a 1.7 Pentium M chip for the extra system cache).

Also, check out the www.x1000forums.com which also covers the HPZT3000 and NC7000 lines. These Centrino machines have a 15.4" widescreen which is very nice if you will be watching DVD's on it and you can view 2 spreadsheets side by side. It still weighs only 6.5 pounds and will fit in laptop backpacks like Targus that hold a 15" square screen.

Whatever machine you get I advise these things:

1) If you are ordering custom get a 5400 rpm hard drive as it is much faster than 4200. Some people are even getting the 7200 hard drives.

2) Get at least 512mb of RAM -- you can order less and put more yourself later to save money but end up with at least 512RAM

3) make sure you have dedicated video memory not integrated that uses system RAM. The X1000 series and similar HP has 32mb dedicated and 64mb dedicated optional -- 64mb is better if you can order custom but 32mb is ok.

4) Make sure you at least have the DVD ROM/CD-RW drive as the CD-RW is your primary storage medium now and you can also burn Music CD's. A DVD burner is nice but they are pricey and you may not need that in a laptop.
Don't get a machine with just a DVD ROM and not the CD burner as they don't cost that much more.

5) Unless you will be traveling a lot on planes, I think you will appreciate the 15.4" widescreen or the 15" square screen over the 14.1 inch square. Many businesses and travelers still use 14" but I think you will appreciate the larger 15" screens.

See a 15.4" widescreen to see if you like it or not.

I also recommend the Toshiba M35 series (Centrino)

Collapse -
by mini87 / July 1, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

Whatching DVD's on the iBook can get annoying with the 12" screen. I should know. Take a look at the Apple Store and check one out for yourself. If you have bad vision like me, that screen will be way to small. That's what kept me from buying the iBook. I have a HP Pavilion laptop and I love it!! I personally like the nc6000 the best. It has pretty good graphics to play games and watch DVDs. It also has a big enough screen to do Word Processing. The iBooks can be a little small at times. Don't get me wrong, i Love the iBooks; they look cool!! But the screen is way too small. Good Luck.

Collapse -
by mini87 / July 1, 2004 8:21 AM PDT

Oops!!!!!! I didn't read your suggestions carefully. Sorry!!!! Well, maybe you should spring for the iBook then. Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?