Mac OS forum

General discussion

iBook Startup

by cacross / October 26, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

We have a ibook in our computer lab running a Mac OS x 10.39 and I think one of my classmates decided he would mess around with it today. Now when you turn the ibook on a little box with a globe inside is blinking. Then it turns into a box with folder inside of it with a question mark. I think he might have put the ibook on network startup. How do I Change it back to booting from the HD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iBook Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iBook Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iBook
by jpr / October 26, 2006 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: iBook Startup

System Prefences->Start Up Disk (under "system" category), click the one you want.

Collapse -
But I can't. . . .
by cacross / October 26, 2006 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: iBook

even get to the system preferences after the blinking folder the apple logo shows up and then it doesnt do anything else.

Collapse -
Oh...
by jpr / October 26, 2006 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: But I can't. . . .

This once happened to me, and I just waited awhile and it found it itself. If that dosen't happen, go to the Apple Store, and they can fix it there.

Collapse -
Ok so I....
by cacross / October 27, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: iBook

left the computer on over night and when I came back to class it was working fine again. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Flashing Question Mark
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: iBook Startup

This happens when the system cannot find a valid system folder on ANY startup volume.
Even if the machine is set to Network Boot it will also search the CD player and the HD if it cannot find a valid Network system folder.
Your first course of action is to attempt to boot from a CD. Using the Restore disks or an OS X installation disk.
Insert the disk into the slot and power up the machine. Hold the C key down until you see something other than the flashing question mark.
If the machine fails to boot, after several attempts, there is a possibility that the logic board is suspect. If it does boot, this would indicate that the HD directories or the system have become corrupt. Disk Warrior will fix the former while an Archive and Install of the system will cure the latter.
All data will be retained with the A & I

Try the above and let us know how you got on. It's cheaper than the Apple Store

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?