HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

iBook or PowerBook?

by clay_biscuit / November 4, 2004 9:45 PM PST

I am a PC user thinking of switching over to Mac. I would like to use the Mac to perform video editing. I would like to have some advice on my purchase.

I have noticed that the new 14' iBook have a similar spec as the 12' PowerBook, with the exception of the graphic card and the type of RAM used.

Each has its own advantage over the other. The iBook has a DVD writer and the bigger screen. While the PowerBook has a better graphic card, faster RAM and includes a bluetooth module.

The reason for my consideration of these two models is the price as I can't afford anything more expensive.

Which of the 2 will be a better option given that they are of similar price? Also, will the iBook be powerful enough for rendering of videos? Will the 12' screen be too small for video work? (I will be upgrading the RAM to 768MB for either model)

Your help/ advice will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iBook or PowerBook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iBook or PowerBook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: iBook or PowerBook?
by larry Jordan203 / November 5, 2004 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: iBook or PowerBook?

Clay, As the owner of both an iBook and PowerBook i would suggest the PowerBook model for the type of use you have in mind. you'll find the larger screen exceptionally useful and the PB operates much faster under video/grahic intensive applications. In my opinion, the iBook is great for word processing or where portability is the main factor. Don't get me wrong. The iBook can perform the task at hand just not as handally as the PB will.
Enjoy.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:24 AM PST

I agree with the last poster. Although the iBook is a cracking machine, it is not quite as handy for the things you wish to do. The Powerbook is the way to go. Having said that, the iBook will do it, if you have the patience.

Collapse -
by clay_biscuit / November 5, 2004 2:55 PM PST

Thank you, Larry and Mrmacfixit, for your replies.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 10:26 PM PST

you are welcome. It is nice to see someone actually respond to an answer to their question. thanks

Collapse -
by chipperz / November 6, 2004 4:04 AM PST

The Power Book is the better choice. I prefer the 12" Power Book with the Super Drive. Make sure you add extra RAM galore - Macs love RAM! Don't buy your Ram from Apple, though. It is available from sources like Crucial at a much lower price.

Collapse -
by clay_biscuit / November 7, 2004 8:58 AM PST

Thanks!

Anyway, how much RAM would you recommend? I will be using Final Cut Pro and After Effects.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 4:07 AM PST

Max it out. Get as much RAM as you can squeeze in there as you will need it given the work you have planned for the machine. You cannot have too much RAM. The PowerBook line will take up to 1.25Gb of DDR333 SDRAM and has only two RAM slots to install it in. Depending on the model you choose, it will come with either 256Mb or 512Mb which is going to leave you with a lot of RAM to buy. I would suggest getting a 512MB SODIMM for a reasonable price, around $100(+/-) as the 1Gb runs around $475(+/-) If you get the 15" SuperDrive or the 17" then the 512Mb will give you 1Gb of RAM or 768Mb on the other models. Of course, if money is no object, get the 1Gb SODIMM and have 1.25Gb on the whole line. The extra 256Mb will be ignored on the top two.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.