General discussion

iBook Nightmare from hell!!!! help!

ok, so i have had an ibook since March and everything has been just perfect. i have kept all my software up to date and use the computer for all the basic uses; photos, music, word docs, and internet.

Last week the ibook just began acting up so I decided I would need to back it up just in case anything went sour. After a day or two of the ibook simply not working properly I decided it was time to reformat and start over (i did this after of course trying all things like repairing the permissions...).

I reinstalled Mac OS X 10.3 and did all the updates. I did not even restore any of my information yet! I restarted my Mac after and update and blam! nothing I get a question mark. after resetting it a few times, now I get the everlasting spinning apple screen. I tried using the install disk to try another reformat, and it boots to the installer fine, but now the installer is unable to find my hard drive!!!!

Anyone have an problems like this? Anyone havean advice?

I have a iBook G4 800 MHZ 384 megs of ram, 30 gig hard drive.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: iBook Nightmare from hell!!!! help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: iBook Nightmare from hell!!!! help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ibook

Move very quickly to the phone and call Apple. This thing should still be under warranty, first year, and the sooner you inform Apple the better. Once you have contacted Apple, get them to give you a Case number. This number proves that you had the problem before the end of the warranty. After trouble shooting with you, they will probably ask for the iBook to be sent to them for repair. (I believe that iBooks all go to one place for repair)
I think you are looking at some form of hardware failure. Especially if this happened directly after a "Format and Install" The fact that the installer is unable to find the HD is indicative of an HD failure. Good call on the backup!
Talk with Apple

P

- Collapse -
No instant fix

(I believe that iBooks all go to one place for repair)

I hope you fare better that we did with two iBooks with known manufacturing problems that caused Apple to extend the warranty. The first one came back eventually.

This is in the UK, where warranty repairs go to Ireland. The second one that I returned, I called after about eight weeks to be told it was fixed but there was no definite dispatch date. I didn't really understand that, because I can get goods to anywhere in the world in 24 hours if it's urgent. (Is the company run by the dispatch guys?)

A week later, I was told computer hadn't been dispatched. About another week later, I was told it hadn't even been fixed.

Three days later, it arrived in perfect condition

- Collapse -
Apple

The same thing happened to me (on my old PC though) and I tried to reboot with all the disks, etc, then it told me I had no hard drive. I had to send it back to the provider, so unfortunately I think the only thing to do it is to take it back to Apple. Sorry I couldn't really help- I hope It's in warranty!

CNET Forums

Forum Info