MacBooks forum

General discussion

ibook G4--fan runs, black screen

by OwnResolutions / January 7, 2010 12:14 PM PST

My ibook G4 turned itself off and when I tried to power it up the fan turns vigorously while the screen stays black. Thats it.

Prior to this I was doing some pretty heavy music importing and during that time the fan was going nuts (I then stopped importing)...also while it was charging it the past few nights the light on the connector would go out and it stopped charging while it was still plugged in. This was the first time it happened and it happened 2-3 times.

Like for most people my entire life is on that computer along with a very important document that I need to access ASAP. What could be the issue...not the logic board! Suggestions...please?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ibook G4--fan runs, black screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ibook G4--fan runs, black screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That iBook
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 8:53 PM PST

may be suffering from a logic board problem.

Try this:

Apply pressure to the area to the left of the track pad. Push down and hold down.

Power the iBook up and see if you get any video on the screen.

The iBook G4 was notorious for this logic board problem which is caused by a bad solder joint, or two, around one of the chips on the board. Pushing down in the area described, pushes the bad joints together and allows the thing to work.
It may take a while for you to find the sweet spot, but when you do, I suggest that you get the data off that machine ASAP.
Should you decide to replace the machine, remove the HD before you chunk the machine. Your data is still intact on that drive

No Backups?

P

Collapse -
Sounds like it
by OwnResolutions / January 8, 2010 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: That iBook

I have been doing a lot of research and forum surfing and that is what I have concluded as well. I tried the squeeze once last night and when it didn't work the first time I was afraid to reboot and try again because that fan whirring sounds horrible and I am nervous about the HD getting destroyed.

If I take the HD out can I still mess with it to see if that maneuver works? Will it boot without a HD?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Not exactly,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 8, 2010 8:24 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like it

The HD contains the OS that the machine boots from, but, you could use an installation CD/DVD, it should boot from that.

Or

Without either of those installed, the video should still light up

P

Collapse -
Thank You!!!
by horseradisho / July 27, 2011 10:49 AM PDT

My old trusty IBook G4 went black today w/ the fan running hard. I was in a panic. Went on a friends Mac and googled "fan running IBook G4" and after maybe 2 searches found your idea. I held down to the left of track pad (not even sure that being what I was holding down!) and YIPPEEE.....on it goes. And seems good as new hours later.
I just wanted to thank you and tell you it is much appreciated!!
Kelly

Collapse -
It should be noted
by Jimmy Greystone / July 27, 2011 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You!!!

It should be noted, since apparently there are still people with those things kicking about... Anything short of resoldering the graphics chip is going to be a temporary solution at best. I say you have nothing to lose by trying to milk it for as long as you can, but sooner or later it will stop working.

Collapse -
(NT) true dat
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It should be noted
Collapse -
I read your advice, and I have a similar problem.
by vivianaibookg4 / August 8, 2014 3:50 AM PDT

Hi,

My iBook G4 boots up. I hear the chime, but the screen is black. The keyboard works (caps lock and num lock light up, and the volume keys sound). There is no fan sound. I tried pushing on the left side of the mouse pad, but it didn't work. I also connected it to another screen, but the other screen is also black.

The most important information is backed up, but I can't afford another Mac at the moment.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Viviana

12" iBook G4. Tiger 10.4.

Collapse -
What can you afford?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 4:06 AM PDT

Repair is unlikely on such machines as cost versus replacement means, well you know that.

Time to reconsider our choices?
Bob

This thread is more than 1673 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Collapse -
Cost of repair is cheap where I am right now
by vivianaibookg4 / August 8, 2014 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What can you afford?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for answering.

If repair is an option, that is good news, actually, both because I am right now in a part of the world where the cost of repair is very cheap and because several technicians had told me it couldn't be repaired.

What they've told me is that the whole main board (is that the same thing as the logic board?) has to be replaced because the video card and everything else is joint together in one big piece.

I have read above, though, that the video card or some kind of joint can be soldered to bring back the image. Is that right?

Thanks so much,
Viviana

12" iBook G4. Tiger 10.4.

Collapse -
Your reply has conflicts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 7:40 AM PDT

On one hand you write it costs little to fix then you write techs won't repair it. No tech I know will warrant any solder work on the part in suspect. No one I know will pay for a repair without warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
ibook G4--fan runs, black screen
by philandean / March 12, 2015 1:39 AM PDT

I has the same problem and somehow came across the same solution. When I was holding my ibook with one hand thumb positioned just left of the tract pad and I received a screen. Finally I placed a clamp (Very light) about 1" left of pad, started my backup and it worked. Don't move whatever device your using to apply pressure until your finished, with me it went right back to black screen and with every repeated try it gets harder amd harder to turn on

Collapse -
That's a sign
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2015 1:47 AM PDT

That you need to get your files out before the end. At least you're getting that chance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?