Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

iBook extras

Within the next month, I will be purchasing an Apple iBook 14.1". I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what type of extra items I should buy along with it? i.e. mouse, carry-case...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iBook extras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iBook extras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard to say...

In reply to: iBook extras

If you've never owned ANY lap-top before, you need all the things on the list below.

A case for it.

That's it. Everything else is going to come later, and is a personal choice. Throwing a lap-top in your backpack or Samsonite is not going to work. (for long)
I've had briefcase styles, shoulder bags, and now a backpack. It is designed for carrying and protecting a computer. A regular backpack is not acceptable.

What will you be using it for? Where?

If you travel, and 90% of it's use is in hotel rooms, the list would be different than if you are at home, or use it in your car.

Any list like this is subjective anyway, and would be driven by personal choice. I'll show you what I mean.

In my Jansport backpack (another personal choice) at this moment, I have a...

Kensington Expert Mouse.
It's to big for most to carry. I put up with the weight and size for three reasons. 13 buttons (if you count chording) make repetitive jobs faster. Cordless usb keeps the mess down. The large heavy ball is very controlable for Photoshop work.

Podium Pad.
Adjustable tilt and smooth pan are a bonus, but getting air under my Ti was the reason I bought it.

Harmon/JBL multi-media Speakers.
I'm in the music business. I gotta have tunes, and the little speakers in my Ti just don't cut it. These are small, light, cheap, and sound good. There are better. There are smaller. There are cheaper. None that I know of are all three, or I'd buy em.

30 Gig HD in an MCE Transport Pro case.
It's small, light and bus powered, so I don't need to carry a wall wort.. Connect it and it runs, and can boot the computer. Has Firewire and usb ports.

OEM power adaptor.
2 spare batteries
Brookstone world power adaptor kit
Brookstone world phone adaptor kit
Adesso usb hub.
Iogear usb micro-hub.
Iogear Bluetooth-usb tranceiver
256 meg Flash Drive.
Atech 5 in1 PCMCIA card reader.
Radioshack universal power adaptor.
Radtech Powerbook Cover
Macally screen protectors.
Various cables, including firewire, usb, ethernet, headphone, camera, phone, etc.
Blank DVD's
A small tool bag
Other stuff not computer related.

See what I mean? If I'd made that list a month ago, or tomorrow, there would be different stuff in it.

It wasn't the answer you were looking for (I think) but it might get you thinking about your own personal choices and the space you will be using it in.

Anyway, hope it helps,

Lampie

Collapse -
A warranty.

In reply to: iBook extras

Many only learn the value of the warranty on their second notebook. Most failures I've seen happen in year 2 and the owner is shocked at the cost of repairs.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.