Desktops forum

General discussion

IBM X40 USB Problem

by Mathias2567 / January 22, 2006 12:54 AM PST

I have an IBM X40 Laptop using Windows XP (professional).

Recently the computer stopped recognizing devices inserted into the usb ports. In device manager it shows that all the usb ports are working and that the drivers are up to date.

I have already tried:

1. Uninstalling the USB ports and reinstalling them

2. I did a system restore to bring the laptop back to its factory condition.

Still no luck.

Power does run through the ports, I can still charge an ipod via the usb port but the device isnt recognized.

Has anyone heard of this type of problem?

-Mathias

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM X40 USB Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM X40 USB Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ibm x40 usb problem
by zamley / February 8, 2006 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: IBM X40 USB Problem

i've had the same issue for over a month now. tried latest chipsets, latest bios, even reinstalled windows. the usb ports used to work fine (albeit at usb1 speeds). have you had any luck?

-sam

Collapse -
Also IBM X40 USB Problem!
by freddson / February 11, 2006 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: ibm x40 usb problem

I bought a new Qtek 8310 last week and when I tried to syncronize it to my IBM Thinkpad X40 bouth my USB stopped working, just like Your.

I have connections on microsoft support and a very intelligent man there who never heard about this problem.
The IBM support suggested that I should send the laptop in for repair.

Have You found out that to do?

Best regards,

Fredrik

Collapse -
USB Port Problem on IBM x40
by brucefromsa / February 23, 2006 1:40 AM PST

I have the same problem-as of yesterday...nothing is registering on my usb ports-no mouse devices, ipod or memory sticks! I am very frustrated and have tried all of the steps for troubleshooting.

The devices state there is no problem. BUT THERE DEF IS!

Let me know if you figure anything else out--I would love any suggestions!

Collapse -
Laptop or desktop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 1:50 AM PST

USB ports can be "blown" but still register in windows as ok. There are ways to test some ports. I'll share the method I use.

I boot up linux off an USB memory key. This test tells me if it's hardware or software.

Bob

Collapse -
USB PORT
by snoshoo53 / February 23, 2006 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop or desktop?

So if it is hardware can that port be fixed?

Collapse -
In most laptops, no. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: USB PORT

No service centers repair the mainboard. They swap them. If you perform my test and find dead ports you can add more with PC-Card USB 2.0 cards.

In a desktop (this forum is for desktops) you get a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Bob

Collapse -
IBM X40 USB Problems
by moreld / March 8, 2006 3:22 PM PST

I have exactly the same problem and I too have an X40 and am running XP Professional. After a few days of erratic behavior, none of my USB ports (on the computer itself, or on the docking station) now recognize or work with anything.

What should I do?

Collapse -
Hint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2006 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: IBM X40 USB Problems

Read this discussion and all the replies.

Collapse -
same problem
by heminamdar / June 23, 2006 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: IBM X40 USB Problems

Same problem x40.. in device manager everything shows ok & enhanced usb. but both usb ports dont not detect anything.. both charge my ipod but dont detect it. (if they charge ipod does it mean they are not blown ?) wondering...

Collapse -
IBM X40 USB Problem
by Bmanx40 / October 18, 2006 11:55 PM PDT

We should try to make IBM repair the USB ports!

I had only 1 year garanty and IBM would not do anything...

IBM Netherland had NEVER heard about the problem...

I see more and more x40's with the USB problem!

Collapse -
Why is the OS a problem for IBM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 12:19 AM PDT

Better than 99% of the time I find the cause to be an owner installed OS. Why is this IBM's issue?

Bob

Collapse -
IBM X40 USB problem
by Bmanx40 / October 19, 2006 8:09 PM PDT

Bob

In my case it's a hardware problem no software.
My X40 has the original Windows XP pro by IBM OS.

If the USB ports on multiple X40's break down than I 'think' it's a IBM problem...

But what do you mean by ''cause''? The USB ports do not have the correct drivers (and will work again with the correct drivers, not in my case), or the USB ports break down by use of an owner installed OS.

Collapse -
Here's my test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: IBM X40 USB problem

I try out a few of the LiveCD Linux you've read about. My favorite for this is the one I have on an USB memory key. When someone claims the USB ports are BLOWN I boot up Linux off the USB port.

How can the port be blown if that works?

I know the issue with Windows and drivers. How to fix that is a whole new ballgame and IBM isn't playing.

Bob

Collapse -
one word: hardware
by Bmanx40 / October 20, 2006 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's my test.

Bob

My first problem was that bluetooth did not work anymore. (sync. pda)
Than I tried cable via USB... USB also broken.

Offcourse I did EVERYTHING to fix my X40.
(even new bluetooth cdc module, if you need one I got one collecting dust)

Sure first start with BartPE windows on cd.
Everything always worked with BartPE...

Anyway your previous TIP is working beautiful: nasty sitecom pcmcia USB adapter and bluetooth USB sticky. (bit of a stinker on a 2000,00+ euro laptop)

Since your first TIP is working so nice I will give the Linux on USB stick a go...

Collapse -
IBM X40 USB hardware problem
by subsecond / December 1, 2006 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: one word: hardware

Yesterday the problem reached my X40.

I read te posts, tried BART and LINSPIRE via PCMCIA card. They did not start.

My question: Is there a BIOS fix? Has anybody sent the X40 to IBM and got it back repaired?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
(NT) Wonder if it could be attributable to an OS patch or update?
by VAPCMD / December 1, 2006 9:36 PM PST
Collapse -
Most will if under warranty. Others...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2006 10:21 PM PST

If it's a true hardware failure will faint at the repair bill. If they didn't go get a PC-Card with USB ports.

1. Not the BIOS unless someone figured out how to disable USB in the BIOS.

2. Not the OS if Linux didn't work (try PCLinuxOS) or DSL Linux from a USB stick.

Bob

Collapse -
IBM X40 USB problem
by subsecond / December 1, 2006 10:45 PM PST

Thanks Bob, will try the stick.

I fainted once before: I had already a X40 It was destroyed by a glass of Prosecco. I sent it in and the repair bill was higher than the purchase of new one.

I switched the disk of the first X40 to the second X40 and the USB problem persisted. I think this also answers the hint of the operating system update

Today I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version. The USB problem is still there.

I am still under warranty, but I dont want to give the baby away for 4 weeks.

Heinz

Collapse -
Same problem here...
by omgtheykilledkenny / December 6, 2006 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: IBM X40 USB problem

I've got the same problem, tried booting to a linux USB key drive, confirmed to work in another system, no dice here. I've tried everything, I think its a hardware issue, though I haven't tried reinstalling windows, not sure how I'd do it though without USB or a disk drive... guess I'd have to do the whole thing over ethernet, would be difficult...

IBM are you listening?

Collapse -
I'm confused. Why no CDROM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2006 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem here...

The unit has such an unit, I do find people that have a failed CD drive and spend months trying to figure out how to install an OS.

Fun to watch?

Bob

Collapse -
IBM Thinkpad X40 - USB Problem - CD-Rom- LENOVO
by subsecond / December 7, 2006 7:39 PM PST

Hallo Bob,

the basic unit X40 has no CD-ROM.
IF the USBs are dead, you ar lost. You cannot boot through Stick, PCMCIA or Ethernet.

Here is what I did since last weekend.

1. I followed your advice. I installed DSL linux and PClinuxOS.
8 hours training. I had finally the LINUX windows versions running on the X40. The USB port were not recognized.

2. I also had the bootable USB stick. Does not work.

3. I used the IBM "Ask an expert" feature. After entering my system ids, I was derouted to Lenovo. I entered the problem. No answer til today.

4. On Monday I bought the PCMCItoUSB adapter. I am in business again.
Although no Bart or Linux booting through USB device on this adapter.

5. I saved a lot of my data to my Trekstore. SAVING through Ethernet is nearly impossible.

...will continue soon....

Collapse -
Then it's the classics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 10:04 PM PST

You buy the CD drive offered with the machine. I can't recall how many owners I run into that opt out or get the machine off ebay without it. Your story as how you ended up without is not told but the laptop in my opinion is worth the purchase. I won't write the rest of the reasons we buy the unit.

Next in data recover methods we put the laptop drive into some USB housing and plug it into the next machine to copy out files.

Safeguarding your files is no one else's responsibility. So I'll stop with that.

Bob

Collapse -
x40 usb problem
by blur_image / January 17, 2008 6:06 PM PST
In reply to: one word: hardware

I have the same problem.So i bought pc card and it worked.but i cannot boot from the pc card.that is a problem when the software stop working.I realized that using an 4,5v adapter the hard disk on the pc card works fine.a usb has 5v on it.so i tried to use the 5v from the false usb.nothing happend.but the led of my hd was on but not enough to start the hd.i think that the problem for the onboard usb is that they do not have the minimum 1A.so that is why it cannot read anything.

Collapse -
Another one - same problem
by dockramer / February 25, 2007 12:55 AM PST

I have an X40 that is about 14 months old with the same USB problem. I restored to factory settings with no luck. Clearly, I have the same issue as many of you.

I agree that IBM should be responsible for repairing these boards since it is clear that this is a very common problem with these machines. I plan to call them tomorrow and see if I can make some progress.

Collapse -
Problem solved?
by some kind of hate / December 17, 2006 8:06 AM PST

Hi,
Did you get this problem fixed eventually?
I'm having the same problem with my medion notebook except for I'm totally computer illiterate and have no idea!

Collapse -
Yes. Just read above (copy here)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2006 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Problem solved?

"4. On Monday I bought the PCMCItoUSB adapter. I am in business again.
Although no Bart or Linux booting through USB device on this adapter."

Bob

Collapse -
Yet another X40 with dead USB ports...
by cgarrity / December 27, 2006 4:43 PM PST

Today my X40 joined this club with dead USB ports. I just put my X40 back to factory settings in a vain attempt to recover the USB ports. If I had read this thread first, I wouldn't have wasted my time. Has ANYONE been able to get this problem fixed? For a reasonable fee of $300 or less, I would definitely take a shot at it.

I'm not too interested in the PCMCI fix since I frequently use that slot for a network card. My main use of the USB slot is for my wireless mouse. I suppose if I can find a serial mouse, I could make the PCMCI fix work. However, it would seem like I had a fractured duck using this method. Maybe it's time to move on to a new laptop although I love my X40 and planned on using it for a long time to come.

If anyone has been able to get this hardware problem fixed, I would sure like to know about it.

Collapse -
Yes. But they had it fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 9:37 PM PST

ie. new mainboard.

Collapse -
Further info about my USB problem...
by cgarrity / December 28, 2006 12:35 AM PST

Intermittently over the past 2 years, I've experienced temporary problems with the USB ports on my X40. Specifically, they seemed a little "loose" when I would stick in one of my flash card readers.

Sometimes I had to either reinsert the reader or put it in a different port to make the connection. I'm wondering is a "short" in one USB port would take down all the others (including the ones on the base unit?)

I'm going to try to get an estimate on replacing the motherboard and if I do, I'll post the results here.

Collapse -
If internmittent have you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2006 12:41 AM PST

Opened it up and inspected the USB ports? Is the solder work clean, no cracks? Did you reflow the solder to these ports?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.