Question

IBM X3200 M2 HDD Connections

Nov 30, 2018 8:46PM PST

Hello, so I recently purchased an IBM System X3200 M2 and I'm having trouble connecting the hdd.
It is the hot swap SAS/SATA model and it has this backplate that the hdd connects to, then that backplate has a power connector, and a cable from the psu connects there and then there's the data cable, that also connects to the backplate but then I don't know where to plug it in the mainboard. I'm reading the manual and it says the SAS/SATA controller, but I can't find it anywhere.
Any clues?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: IBM X3200 M2 HDD Connections
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: IBM X3200 M2 HDD Connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It's possible someone scavanged the SAS/SATA control board.
Nov 30, 2018 9:14PM PST
- Collapse -
Thank you, one more thing...
Dec 1, 2018 12:56PM PST

I'm realizing now that this pc doesn't have a PCI x16, but x1, and x8.
Is there a way to get the integrated graphics card (ATI ES1000 I believe) to display anything like 720p on Windows 7/8.1 (Doesn't matter, I'll use whatever it works)
I've downloaded a few drivers but they refuse to install. At the end of the install screen it would say installation failed and nothing else.

Thank you again!

- Collapse -
Please don't be upset.
Dec 1, 2018 1:06PM PST

All skill levels arrive here.

What may be happening is your install order is off. That is, for the video driver to work it usually requires I install the machine's chipset driver package first. Without this, the GPU chip might not be seen by ATI/AMD drivers.

You are also battling age and time here. Few will have direct knowledge of this kind of rare 10 year old machine. For me I'd forget Windows and head to Linux which is far better dealing with old gear.

Plus if it's just to get video up to 720p, I beat it can. Also, if I wanted to play videos, VLC PLAYER is almost always there in Linux among other players.

CNET Forums

Forum Info