Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

IBM trying to patent profiting from patents

by papachungo13 / October 23, 2007 6:16 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
hmmm...is IBM a ...
by shawnlin / October 23, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

in which priority does IBM management think it is?

I think it's:
1) for-profit corporation
2) technology developer
3) law firm

thoughts?

Collapse -
ans: All of the above!
by papachungo13 / October 23, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm...is IBM a ...

I should have stated that I am an employee...

For Profit:

Didn't do too badly this quarter

Technology Developer:

We do a lot of R&D - we are in the top 3 annually in patent filings
If I'm not mistaken, I do believe we supply NASA with stuff (the processor on at least one Mars rover was developed by us)
We have one of the largest (if not the largest) patent portfolios in the world.

Law Firm:

We do have more lawyers than some medium sized law firms.

Happy

Collapse -
(NT) right it is all three...but in what order of priority?...
by shawnlin / October 23, 2007 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ans: All of the above!
Collapse -
IBM
by Renegade Knight / October 23, 2007 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm...is IBM a ...

My experience with IBM is limited to the days when they had PC's. However they viewed themselves as a Market Pioneer, Leader, and Powerhouse. They conducted themselves as captains of the industry who's lead we lesser mortals (only being resellers of their overpriced and underpowreed PC's...). I envied them, mostly their sheer Nose in the Air, Holier than Thoug and getting away wiht it attitude. Ultimately I tried to be an employee, chased it down, got the offer and...turned it down. The writing was on the wall. They were going to go down in flames with their PC's. They gave up on PC's inside of two years. Laptops survived a lot longer.

The truth is IBM was an Engineering Company. Back then, they had a solution for every problem that anyone could think of when it related to the personal computer. They could not market their way out of a wet paper bag. IBM flat out sucked at capitalizing on their sheer Engineering power.

Lesser companies came from behind and ate IBM's lunch.

The simple fact that IBM has chosen to try and patent a business model on how to make money on their engineering prowess still tells me that they are an Engineering company and still can't profit on their true value. The very thing that generates all those patents.

IBM then, and perhaps today, did thrive on pioneering field. Nobody else has a solution but IBM did. Customers had to use IBM. That 10% keeps them thriving. The 90% of everything else they don't build on is just money on the table that lets IBM's competitors stay in business.

Patententing a way to make money with patents. Only IBM would think that their idea is original...this is one of their weak points. (If it wasn't, IBM would make more money than anyone else in the world because they have more products than anyone else in the world...)

Collapse -
wow - thanks!
by shawnlin / October 23, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: IBM

that's a great summary and perspective RK!

regarding the patents that they hold - I read and saw the picture of a patent for an unmanned aerial vehicle. nothing in particular - just the general concept...the patent applicant was IBM. When I saw that - I just threw my hands in the air with disbelief and, "What the heck does IBM have to do with UAVs!?????!!!" nutty sometimes, just nutty.

--S

Collapse -
Great analysis
by papachungo13 / October 23, 2007 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: IBM

You've said pretty much what I've chosen not to RK. Until I stop working for them, I'll voice my opinions to management only.

What do we have to do with UAVs Shalin? Nothing except for the fact that there may be a problem that technology can solve, and that one of our engineering teams envisioned it. You can compare it to say, the research work done with the excimer laser, which is now used in angioplasty and optical correction surgery.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!