Impossible to tell from a distance.
It seems a rather old machine. It might well be the useful part of its lifecycle has passed. That's the hardware point of view. It's not impossible.
If it's an old and trusted machine I don't believe in updating drivers. So the software point of view is malware on the machine. If none can be found (by other scanners than AVG) it's somewhat less likely, but not impossible either.
- If you look in the Event Viewer afterwards, does it show a problem? see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
- Does it hang in such a way that even Task Manager can't be called? It's nice to be able to use ctrl-alt-del and look at the running processes.
- Is it reproducible (when he runs program A and does X) or random.
What I should do if no clues come up:
- Cleaning the vents (to eliminate heat related problems): http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/a/cleanlaptop.htm
- If that doesn't help: system recovery back to factory conditions, to eliminate all software issues (lots of work, because you need to reapply SP2 - better do SP3 immediately) and reinstall all applications and restore all data.
- If that doesn't help either: discard the machine, or find someone for a cheap repair attempt (that's unlikely).
A fnd of mine has IBM THINKPAD,,
folowing are the specs of tht laptop,,
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name KHALID-682F1BDF
System Manufacturer IBM
System Model 2628TK1
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~547 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date IBM IWET48WW (1.04 ), 12/21/1999
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-215"
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 57.22 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 618.27 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
n the insatlled anti virus program is AVG,,
The notebook freezes now and then my fnd have to restart the device,,wht cud be the prob? n how to resolve it