Computer Help forum

General discussion

IBM T20 Boot questions///windows 2000

by PhotoAK / April 2, 2006 12:33 AM PST

i cannot log on to windows 2000 due to password failure so am looking to boot to cd to try password recovery program (which may or may not work) or go directly to c: prompt to copy directories to an external media

i have not been able to do either despite all sorts of attempts

any suggestions would be welcome

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM T20 Boot questions///windows 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM T20 Boot questions///windows 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can it boot from USB memory sticks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 1:06 AM PST

When I found a laptop that could not boot from CD I tried my Linux DSL (damn small linux) USB memory key (google.com for info) and was able to boot up and network to a server to copy out files.

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm covers the free methods and the pay method is at http://www.lostpassword.com

If the machine has hardware failures you either fix the machine or pull the hard disk out to put into a desktop using a 2.5 to 3.5 inch hard disk adapter.

Solutions are plentiful.

Bob

Collapse -
Boot from memory stick for IBM T20
by PhotoAK / April 9, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

I have not been able to boot from the memory stick or the CD. I have looked at the sites you referenced and anticipate they will be of assistance once I can get to the C: prompt. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Looks like you need the machine repaired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

Since CD and USB boot fails, the laptop must be in rough shape. Pulling the hard disk is next to get your files off the drive on some desktop.

Sorry to read your laptop is failing.

Bob

Collapse -
Machine repaired
by PhotoAK / April 9, 2006 9:46 PM PDT

I was afraid of that. Thanks for checking in.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?