Laptops forum

General discussion

IBM/Lenovo vs. Mac

I am looking for a new latop and I have come down to either a Mac or IBM/Lenovo. I am not sure which one to go for. I have had a thinkpad before and it was a great computer, however I have always been a little Mac curious. My only concern with a Mac is that my mp3 player by choice is the Creative zen plus, I hate ipods. I am not sure if it is compatiable or if the creative software would work with it. Although I image I could always use the dual operating system and run windows to still use my zen. I am looking for a computer that is reliable, fast, has an internal dvd/cd burner internal (no external parts), good with multimedia, can do a little gaming, has office software (word/excel/powerpoint/publisher), doesn't run hot, portable, not too expensive (under $2,000), and not going to break down on me. Any help one way or another would be great.
-M

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM/Lenovo vs. Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM/Lenovo vs. Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is hot?

In reply to: IBM/Lenovo vs. Mac

Be specific. Today's laptops do not have cool surfaces since they consume power and turn it into heat. You can test drive the Apple at some apple store.

But given that these 2 machines have wildly different operating systems they can't be compared directly.

In no uncertain words, there is no known laptop with cool surfaces. Hasn't been made yet.
Bob

Collapse -
yes I know

In reply to: What is hot?

Although, the heat the laptop gives off isn't a major concern I have had the experience with various laptops where certain ones would be perfect for a cold winter night instead of a blanket while in the summer you want to throw ice on your lap. I understand they all are going to generate heat I just don't want something overly warm. My experiences with all my Dells is that they produce way too much heat compared to other laptops I have owned. I am really looking for answers to my other questions especially people who have switched to Macs and or have used both Macs and IBMs. Thanks, M

Collapse -
Used both. BUT!!!

In reply to: yes I know

The Macbook has no GPU so it's in the moderate heat category. As to the Lenovo the model matters so if there's some fire breathing 3D chipset then it's hotter.

You can't compare the two in my book since one I just use and the other I get to armor up to the teeth, scan weekly and update antivirus daily and suffer when Microsoft gaffes. They did last week!

Bob

Collapse -
heat isn't that bif of an issue

In reply to: Used both. BUT!!!

Ok so once again heat isn't that big of an issue. I guess you can't answer my questions, but for anyone else out there please respond. Thanks, M

Collapse -
The Zen. What to look for.

In reply to: IBM/Lenovo vs. Mac

Look at your Zen and tell me if it supports MSC MODE (see google if you need to catch up.)

Collapse -
won't work

In reply to: The Zen. What to look for.

I found my answer why googling and the zen won't be supported by Mac so I would have to use one of the programs that allows me to run windows on the mac to use my player. Also I have read even on Macs own website that their office program isn't that great. So, basically I am assuming if I bought a Mac I would be using windows alot on it so I could use office and use my music player.

Collapse -
Well we do have OTHER options here.

In reply to: won't work

I didn't catch the exact model of the Zen but just discussed MSC mode with another member and they looked one more time and got it done.

We also have the badfruit software that will help but let's see if MSC mode is there in your player.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Link to other discussion.

In reply to: Well we do have OTHER options here.

Collapse -
need friendly ground

In reply to: PS. Link to other discussion.

It is the Zen V plus. However, would it make sense getting a Mac having to use a different operating system (Windows XP) more often then the Mac one? I wish the Mac's and Microsoft worked better together but it appears they still need some work on both their parts to find true common ground. Thanks for your help though. -M

Collapse -
Looking around it looks ok.

In reply to: need friendly ground

" you can just drag and drop data files to the device in Windows Explorer if you so choose." which tells me there could be a MSC mode for this product.

Have you looked into this?

Yes, there is ZERO support for the software to be ported to the Mac. This does not mean it won't work in the MSC mode.
Bob

Collapse -
i guess i answered my own question

In reply to: Looking around it looks ok.

From what I read you won't be able to charge the device on the mac and the creative software only works for windows. I will go to the mac store near me and see if anyone there might know. My other concern would be using office and mac especially switching computers at work. sometimes I will have to use my flash drive on other computers that are windows based. I guess this wouldn't work. Still I guess I am answering my question if I have to keep switching back to windows it probably isn't worth switching to a Mac then? I am surprised Mac is not more aggressive in making their systems more compatiable with PCS then, but I guess there able to corner the market better my doing what they are doing. -M

Collapse -
Now that I'd say is untrue.

In reply to: i guess i answered my own question

"you won't be able to charge the device on the mac"

What makes you say this? I charge many the odd thing on USB 2.0 ports on Linux, Macs and more. Something is terrible wrong here. Or we're getting too pessimistic.

"sometimes I will have to use my flash drive on other computers that are windows based. I guess this wouldn't work. "

Not this can answer with authority. The common USB memory stick works super across Mac, Linux and Windows. Be sure to not get too negative here. A lot of stuff works fine.

-> However I was hoping you knew more about your player. I asked about MSC mode (see google) and here's the simple test. If the unit shows up as a disk drive in Windows then it's likely to support MSC.
Bob

Collapse -
not pessimistic online articles

In reply to: Now that I'd say is untrue.

The articles I read online said it wouldn't charge and wouldn't work on a mac. I am going to the store tomorrow to bring it and see if it will work. If it works great, if not back to the drawing board. I am still concerned about being able to go back and forth with office software from PC's and Mac's. I am not sure what the sense going to a Mac would be then if I have to go through a lot of hassle. Probably better off with the Lenovo then? Do you have experience with them? Cnet seemed to like it. -M

Collapse -
And ... we can solve some stuff for free.

In reply to: not pessimistic online articles

Did you find Neo Office which edits your common Office 2003 and prior documents?

Collapse -
experience

In reply to: And ... we can solve some stuff for free.

I have not used neo-office or open-office but I just read about them on line. Personally, I have never had any problems with MS Office. It sounds like you use these programs. Is it as easy as it sounds to switch from neo-office/open-office to MS Office and back with no problems? Do fonts change or do they stay the same? If I have saved a word file would it automatically open in neo-office and open-office or would I have to save it differently? Thanks for the help. -M

Collapse -
I use both.

In reply to: experience

As to interchange of documents the most common one I use are .DOC for Word documents so all I need to do is save in that format. This is automatic when I open a .DOC file. Same for .XLS.

If you want to buy Microsoft Office that's your choice. I'm sharing I don't anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Both parts don't want them to

In reply to: need friendly ground

run the same.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.