Peripherals forum

General discussion

IBM Flatebed Scanner--Model 0275-001

The Scanner's light is not coming on. Can someone please tell me what the problem could be and how to to correct it.

Thanks

amginc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM Flatebed Scanner--Model 0275-001
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM Flatebed Scanner--Model 0275-001
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few suggestions

In reply to: IBM Flatebed Scanner--Model 0275-001

If you are referring to the power indicator led, then check the power strip /wall outlet for power with another item such as a light and make it has power also. If you are referring to the lamp on the flatbed usually the software driver must be installed into the pc first before attaching the scanner via the USB cable and trying to make it work.

Collapse -
IBM-Flatbed Scanner

In reply to: A few suggestions

rlilja,

I'm referring to the Light that scans the documets inside the scanner. The scanning does take place but the light all of a sudden doesn't go on. The scanner has given me great service over the last few years. I guess I can uninstall the drivers and try reinstalling the software. Is it possible that the bulb itself has just burned out and needs to be replaced?. If so how do I do that.

Thanks

Collapse -
Scanner reset

In reply to: IBM-Flatbed Scanner

Sometimes the scanner needs to be reset (scanner gets confused) this also happens to printers sometimes. Generally, all that is required is to unplug all connections to it (both power & USB connections) wait 15 to 30 seconds then plug the power back in, then the USB cable. The computer should once again realize it's there (with a message on the screen or a noise on the speaker)and reconnect to it.

If the scanner is just going thru the motions of trying to scan but no results after doing all the above then chances are the lamp could be bad although that doesn't happen very often at all!

Collapse -
IBM Flatbed Scanner--Reset

In reply to: Scanner reset

rlilja,

I've been away for awhile. I tried unplugging and plugging and still the light doesn't come back on. If the lamp inside the scanner is indeed burned out, the question is ....can I change it myself. The operations manual that came with the computer has no instructions on changing the lamp. Do you think IBM might be of some assistance?

Thanks. amginc

Collapse -
Lamp replacement

In reply to: IBM Flatbed Scanner--Reset

Hi,
Although in theory the lamp can be replaced but not usually by just anyone, an electronic tech could possibly do it if indeed it definitely is the "lamp" as it is probably soldered into place and not an easy unscrewable type. Most of the time it is not worth the time, cost and effort to do this as it would in most cases be cheaper to buy a new one than to have the old one repaired!
a couple of Problems that would arise and make it hard to fix would be 1. Verifying that it is the lamp itself is bad and not the electronics controlling it! and #2 Acquiring a new lamp.

As attached as you are to it I personally believe (as a computer tech and an electronic tech) that it would most likely be better to go get a new one than to have it repaired!

Collapse -
IBM Flatbed Scanner

In reply to: Lamp replacement

Rlilja,

I have to agree with you. It might be in my best interest just to replace the scanner. It served me well for many years. As the operations manual states, there are no consumer servicible parts. I believe I attempted all the trouble shooting ideas that you and the manual stated.

Thanks again,
amginc

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.