Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue on Windows 2000 server

by mtn_biker / November 29, 2004 11:16 PM PST

I have an issue with an IBM 4232 Dot Matrix printer on Windows 2000 server. It used to be attached to an NT server and worked normally. But now after migrating it to Windows 2000 server SP4 it does a form feed after every print job, thus leaving blank pages in between print outs.

On the NT server the printer was configured as such:
Driver: Text Generic
Print Processer: RAW
Spool Documents so program finishes printing faster: Start Printing Imediately
Enable Advanced printing features
Use Letter paper

On the 2000 server the same settings were used as above, but the issue occured.

I have worked with IBM tech support with no resolution:
We tried the following:
Print Processor: NT EMF 1.003
Setting the driver to and IBM Proprinter XL III
Having the paper to US STD FAN Fold.

The application printing the Data has not changed once moved to 2000 server. Also, the printer was not reconfigured in any way prior or after migration to windows 2000 server.

Is there any setting or command that can stop a form feed after any print job on an IBM 4232 Dot Matrix printer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue on Windows 2000 server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue on Windows 2000 server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue on Windows 2000 server
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 11:25 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue on Windows 2000 server
by mtn_biker / November 29, 2004 11:36 PM PST

Yes, we tried the Cont feed no break option. Still no go. I have not contacted Microsoft.

Collapse -
Outlook grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 11:41 PM PST

You may have to move to a non-PC printer server. I can only share that's a solution I used.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Outlook grim.

Yes, it's not about Windows 2000, but the issue does seem to repeat in Windows 2000 but you can't complain unless the latest service pack is installed.

Some have their reasons not to stay current.

Collapse -
Host Integration issue Windows 2K server ***RESOLUTION**
by mtn_biker / December 6, 2004 1:20 AM PST
Collapse -
I didn't read you had SNA services?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2004 1:27 AM PST

I ran across that article, but sadly I thought "hmm, we covered service packs and they didn't note SNA", so I left it out.

Sorry about that.

Collapse -
IBM 4232 Dot Matrix issue is with driver
by mtn_biker / December 2, 2004 10:43 PM PST

With the Generic\Text driver, IBM determined it is sending a 0c (Hex) command at the end of the data. The 0c command is a form feed command. IBM does not know of a command to turn this off. But there is a "Printer Commands" tab on the driver that lets me put a command at the end of the job or the beginning.
Does anyone know of a command I can use to disable the 0c (Hex) or ff (ASC II) entry at the end of the job?

Collapse -
Still grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 11:20 PM PST

Microsoft had to fix this multiple times in Windows NT. Apparently the issue has reappeared in Windows 2000. Or you are not running the latest service pack.

If you have the latest service pack and all that was noted in this forum done, then it's time to call Microsoft.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?