Question

İ7 4720hq vs i5 4200h

Hello
I am an computer engineering student and I use compilers,maybe some simulation programs,virtual machine,some games and browser (with about 40 tabs in each page)
I am not using rendering video editing and etc..
the clock cylce differences almost same
do i need to take i7 with paying more money ? or there is no differences for me in real world usage ?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4200H

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: İ7 4720hq vs i5 4200h
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: İ7 4720hq vs i5 4200h
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To me the i7 wins.

But then I do things like video encoding, and 20 or so tabs. You have 40 so more threads will help.

As to the need, well, no. You can just wait a little longer for your 40 tabs to do their thing. Or you could just go with 20 tabs?

My simulations spin up a process per test so more cores really drives down the time.

- Collapse -
budget

btw difference is 80 usd and it is 10% of my monthly salary

- Collapse -
And you get the added performance for years.

Sounds like a great deal.

- Collapse -
s

so if I feel the differences without using rendering video editing etc.I am going to buy i7
but if i couldn't i am going to buy i5 with 120 gb ssd with same price I pay for i7

- Collapse -
For me, yes.

The 120SSD is a terrible move IMO. Folk get those and then post how to keep it clean as it runs out of space. Last week I paid well under 99 bucks for a 240GB SSD so given the loss of time or rather the time lost dealing with a small drive I can't buy or sell that model except in special cases.

CNET Forums