Question

i5-8600K, i5-9600K, or i7-8700K

I am still building my PC, I would like to stream and game on it. I am curious though, what are the differences for the above processors mentioned in the subject title? And would it be okay to go with any of the i5 processors over the i7? Because the i5 is roughly $100 cheaper based off of what I've found, however, I don't want to sacrifice important performance perks based solely on price. Also, I'm staying away from Ryzen/AMD because this is my first build and I have found more information on Intel than I have found information on Ryzen/AMD, I may look into it on my next build, but for the purposes of this question and my build I am sticking with Intel for now. Thank you!

The rest of my build specs are (will be, as I'm still researching parts):
Case: NZXT S340 (Already Own)
GPU: MSI Duke GeForce GTX 1070Ti (Already own)
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A (Already own)
Processor: (What this question is about)
Liquid Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 (Purchasing in the future)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM (Already own)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 (Purchasing in the future)

Post was last edited on February 15, 2019 11:50 AM PST

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: i5-8600K, i5-9600K, or i7-8700K
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: i5-8600K, i5-9600K, or i7-8700K
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
To compare those CPUs

I hit Userbenchmark as well as look at what type RAM and what speed RAM is going into the build.

Since you already own the motherboard it's likely you already fitted the RAM. Also, the game title may or may not lean on the CPU as much. I find that an i5 is fine until the gamer talks about UHD 4K play.

I don't see the real speed choice here which is the SSD. Also the Seagate is known to be problematic. To check if yours is in that boat, read the 01 and 07 values of a Speccy report. If either are over 100 then you don't want this drive in any performance PC.

- Collapse -
Thanks for responding!

Sorry for the really late reply, I had to put the build on hold because money got tight, Anyway, I just purchased the Samsung 970EVO M.2 SSD 500GB. I have looked at the specs, but I don't see the 01 or 07 values, but I do believe that I am okay with the one I purchased as I have asked a lot of different people who have built PC's and the one thing they all seemed to agree on is that the one I purchased is fine.

- Collapse -
There are many discussions about the 01 and 07 values.
- Collapse -
Your new post about Internet speed.

Should be back Monday. if you want to try again, make it shorter and maybe it will get through.

CNET Forums

Forum Info