Resolved Question

i5 8250u with 8gb DDR3L vs Ryzen 5 2500u with 8gb DDR4?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a laptop and I've narrowed my search down to two candidates as stated in the title. I would use it primarily as a workstation (studying, office work, media consumption, file management, etc.) so gaming is not a huge factor in this case (although the i5 one does come with an MX150 which is nice in case I want to do some casual gaming). Also the R5 one comes with Windows 10 Pro instead of Home (I'm not sure how big of an advantage that is), but the i5 one is 15.6" and comes with a numeric pad (as opposed to 14" for the R5 one) which I think is more fitting for the use I'd give it.

Both laptops are similarly priced where I live, so that's not a big factor either. I'm looking for the one that can give me the best performance for the intended use as well as reliability and longevity. The biggest factors that are stalling me from jumping into a decision are the processors which are similar in peformance but both have advantages over the other depending on the task, and the memory since I fear DD3 might have become obsolete in 2019.

Here are two links I found for the laptops and their specs:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-E15-E5-576G-5762.284060.0.html

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-v330-14arr-14-ryzen-5-2500u-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd/

I hope to have been clear, thanks a lot in advance!

Discussion is locked
baucherrr has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer
Follow
Reply to: i5 8250u with 8gb DDR3L vs Ryzen 5 2500u with 8gb DDR4?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: i5 8250u with 8gb DDR3L vs Ryzen 5 2500u with 8gb DDR4?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
For long term

We just get the Intel for our office laptops. We used to pick up AMD based units but the Intel based units have seemed to last longer. So that's it.

As to the stalling, you want to be sure to move to SSD asap.

- Collapse -
PS.

I see you found the Notebookcheck link for one. Get the other so you can compare.

Also, I don't expect much performance difference in the use you describe. But I will write that you want to see all SSD to avoid the usual delays. The delays are often due to HDD delays and not CPU+RAM bound when the CPU+RAM are similar.

CNET Forums