Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I would like to know about webcams.

I am 64 years old and bought my first computer in 2005. Sony Vaio VGC-RB40, P4, 3GHz, 512 Memory with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900. Win XP/Home. I have struggled to learn computers. I no longer call Earthlink (ISP) or Sony (manufacturer) since I can't understand anything the customer reps say.

The few times I've run into a brick wall (ouch), I've turned here to my fellow C/Net folks and all of you have been really helpful. Thank you very much.

Several days ago, I visited a neighbor. He was online with relatives overseas chatting with them. We could see this person and he could see us. There was a device that looked like a giant eyeball through which we were seen. I have relatives and friends all around the world, also, and I would like to do this. He was very busy and couldn't take the time to explain it. He just said that it was a "webcam" and that he used MSN or Yahoo. I am really intrigued and dying to learn how to do this.

I really don't know the correct terminology or whether or not I can use one on my machine or with dial-up. I also will shortly buy a Mac. Can I use the same webcam on both? Do I have to use MSN or Yahoo to use the webcam and would my friends or relatives have to use MSN or Yahoo to see me on the monitor. I realize that, unless they too have a webcam, I wouldn't be able to see them. There was no audio, just video. His webcam was a Logitek.

I apologize for such a lame question. I did search C/Net but everything was confusing to me. Thank you for any help you may give me.

Ralph

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I would like to know about webcams.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I would like to know about webcams.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The very basics of webcam

In reply to: I would like to know about webcams.

Get a webcam

Have your contacts get a webcam, sign up

Talk and watch.

How To Set-up A Webcam

Dialup should work but would be very slow and jerky

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: The very basics of webcam

Thanks for the "nuts and bolt" info, Bill. This is what I needed.

Collapse -
(NT) You're Welcome

In reply to: Thank you.

Collapse -
More information

Make sure it's XP compatible, this is shown on the side of the box. These don't cost much (about $20.00 US) and are easy to use but they work much better with DSL. They are "very" jerky with 56K. Just plug it in, load the disk that comes with it and your all set.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: More information

Thank you, Dango. I'm really jazed about learning something new.

I appreciate your efforts, Dango and JP Bill.

Collapse -
You can have audio. . .

In addition to the webcam get a microphone. My brother and I visit and talk. At your age I'm sure you remember the "Picture Phone" that never did make it? With a webcam and microphone it's on your desktop. But you really need broadband.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: You can have audio. . .

coryphaeus, thank you. My fellow C/Netters have really been a big help, again.

What wonderful technology. I gotta think about broadband, too.

Take care

Ralph

Collapse -
Broadband. . .

In reply to: Thank you

I was on dial-up for years, then Comcast offered cable internet. The first time I opened my browser and the page loaded instantly I got chill bumps. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. It's expensive but if you surf, it's worth it. And DSL is comparable in price to dial-up.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.