General discussion

I wonder if there is a laptop made for me :o)

Hi all,

I have owned a Winbook laptop for the last 7 years (can you belive that?) 7 years of laptop years is like 90 in human years :o) Now I want to buy something that is more advanced. I really liked the Toshiba Satellite M45-S331 and HP compaq nx7010. But of course all have some flaws. Regarding Toshiba I have heard lot of issues regarding crashing when AC plugged on (wi-fi ON) and the battery life is not so good and speakers are not loud enough. HP nx7010 has its own issue. I don't want Dell because its just not sexy enough for me :o) ... any suggestions from the experienced one out there? My choice brands:

Toshiba
Sony
Fujitsu
HP Compaq

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I wonder if there is a laptop made for me :o)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I wonder if there is a laptop made for me :o)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just wondering.

Why not another Winbook?

- Collapse -
Why not winbook ....

One of the reason I am not leaning toward Winbook is that I am unable to see it before buying. I like to see things and get a feel of it before buying. There are so many notebooks out there that I can get a feel of but not Winbook.

- Collapse -
How did you overcome that the first time?

Dells as well have the same issue.

Bob

- Collapse -
It was a long time ... early 1998 ....

At that time there were only few laptops at our local store: circuit city and comp USA. I was living in Birmingham, AL. So, at that time you had no choice but to order them online.

I am so glad I did not go for Dell 51060 when they were on sale .. I mean a good sale .. like $500 off or so. One of my friend ordered it and I hate it .. it looks ugly, bulky .. its worse than my 7 years old laptop.

- Collapse -
How to sample a WinBook

You can check out and purchase most WinBook products at Micro Center stores coast to coast. Here is a link to their store locations - http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

Also, WinBooks are sometimes less expensive at Micro Center than at www.winbook.com.

BTW - Consumer Reports' readers have ranked Micro Center the #1 place at which to buy a PC in their 12/05 issue (as they have each year since CR began surveying this in 2003).

- Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite M45-S331

As an owner of a Toshiba M45-S331 I have to say I don't have any of these problems. I use wi-fi most of the time and with no problems, it also has very good range. The speakers are good, and the new design gives performance without much heat or noise. Try this machine for yourself, it is a new design with few reviews and great technology.

- Collapse -
Thank you ..

When you say "new design" I am not sure which design you are refering to? So you don't have the issue of loosing the wi-fi connection when plugging AC in? How long does the battery last? Is there anything about the laptop that you don't like?

Thank you for your response.

- Collapse -
New design

Hi, The new design I referred to is mainly the Processor and Graphics Accelerator. Both are state of the art technology, and bring this machine into new comfort levels of noise and heat without sacrificing performance. Toshiba adds it?s own technology further enhancing the level of quietness. I have had no problems with wi-fi connections on AC or battery. You can turn on a display that shows you how far you are away from a signal. The machine performs perfectly on low signal strength 200' to 300' feet away from the source, and that is at home, or in the car near other sources. The battery lasts me about 3 hours using it mostly wi-fi internet, DVD recording would reduce this time though. The machine comes preset in energy saving modes. If you changed these settings you may reduce battery run time. I have not needed to change these, and am very happy with Toshibas well thought out settings. I am totally satisfied with this notebook the only thing that I might do is buy another battery. There is also a larger battery available that will run for 6 hours but then it will no longer be a 6 pound machine. Good luck

- Collapse -
dv1000

How about considering the HP Pavilion dv1000 with the new Core Duo. If you have waited this long you might as well get a jump ahead of the rest of us and get a dual core laptop. You will be able to get a thin and light desktop replacement...now hows that...The core duo uses even less power than the Sonoma Centrino...It seriously rocks...It eats the desktop version of the Athlon X2 3800+

CNET Forums

Forum Info