Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I wish my computer was as easy to operate as my phone.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

I had a good laugh as I heard yesterday this from a pundit.

"I wished one day my computer was as easy to operate as my phone. I got my wish. I can barely use my new (cell) phone."

Later I was amused as someone spent an hour to install a ringtone.

My conclusion is that (Windows) computers are finally easier to operate that your phone.

Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I wish my computer was as easy to operate as my phone.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I wish my computer was as easy to operate as my phone.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hi bob
by Mark5019 / August 15, 2006 11:27 PM PDT

at times i agree:)

Collapse -
I'm in the market for a new cell phone right now
by Evie / August 15, 2006 11:31 PM PDT

To be honest, my current model has more than enough features for me. But it's more than 2 years old now, no longer available, and any phones I've seen on the market like it -- with "just" the features I currently have -- are now of the "cheapo" variety Sad I would keep it a while longer but I seem to have damaged the connection with the charger, so sometimes it lights up the indicators like it is charging, but it does not Sad I was waiting for my cell carrier to offer a buy one-get one free offer so as to get Dad a new phone too. The plan to give him mine is now also dashed, and his has been fluky with maintaining a charge for the better part of a year now.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
there's a little discussion
by Dragon / August 16, 2006 1:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
I hate cell phones
by duckman / August 16, 2006 1:22 AM PDT

All I need mine to do is answer a call and to make a call. That's all

Collapse -
I do like ...
by Evie / August 16, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: I hate cell phones

... the phone book, alarm and being able to schedule reminders and the like, but I have a digital camera. I've only used the one on the phone a few times -- mostly to get a picture for my background display (big whoop!) -- and could do without it. I have NO desire to listen to music, play games or watch videos on my phone. One new one has navigational capability which would be useful, but I would probably get a stand alone unit to leave in the car if I ever wanted this capability.

Just got back from the cell phone store. I could get a new phone for free and a free phone for the hubby's line, but not Dad's (until Feb). If we got the free phone on the hubby's line, then in 24 hours we could switch the phones/lines for $20 each or $40. That seems absurd to me!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
when i got my new
by Mark5019 / August 16, 2006 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I do like ...

cell after my contract was up they wanted to charge me 10 bucks to transfer my numbers, i said if you charge i drop you and they did it for free

Collapse -
navigational capability?
by Dragon / August 16, 2006 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I do like ...

Is that an extra cost?

Collapse -
Can't find the stupid phone online right now to link
by Evie / August 16, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

I think it was ''capable'', I guess a built in version of something like this: Navigation CD turns your phone into a navigation system. There would be a monthly fee.

I don't know enough about the nav systems like Tom Tom, etc. because it's not something I've yet given considerable consideration.

I would not pay more than a few dollars a month for this feature on my cell phone. I would be more likely to use it on an hourly fee basis (if reasonable).

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Three months free then seven bucks a month
by Dragon / August 16, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

The description it gave sounded pretty good, though I don't think I'd use it very much.

Collapse -
I think it is a different service provider with my ...
by Evie / August 16, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

... wireless carrier, but basically the same thing with the software/capability pre-installed on the phone. For $7/month I don't think I would use it enough to make it worthwhile, even as much as I travel. Not hyper-expensive, but I would rather put those $$ to insuring the phone. Replacing a cell phone can get pretty expensive if it's not "time", as we found out for my husband's phone -- we just got lucky and the homeowner's insurance is covering it.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm with you DT...Call, Answer, & Hang up.
by Rolway / August 16, 2006 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I hate cell phones
Collapse -
In the cell phone forum
by Terry Browne / August 16, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

I saw a post about a Blackberry 8700. Looks very nice. I'd get one if I was in need of a cell phone at the moment.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have no need for all those bells and whistles
by Evie / August 16, 2006 11:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) They're very usefull if you need them...
by Terry Browne / August 16, 2006 4:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Didn't say they weren't...
by Evie / August 16, 2006 11:31 PM PDT

I have a laptop computer and a USB drive. One of my Canadian cousins has a Blackberry. He likes it but finds it bulky for using the phone.

I would get a mini-laptop before I would get a Blackberry.

Collapse -
I wish everything cold be controlled from...
by EdH / August 16, 2006 12:55 AM PDT

a computer type interface, either Windows or Mac. Phones, Satellite TV, etc. Be nice to have a universal standard and a computer interface seems to afford the most control IMHO.

Collapse -
there's a new Porsche on the market
by jonah jones / August 16, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

that has a little pop-out tray for your SIM card, the guy test driving the car (BBCs Top Gear-jeremy clarkson) said "and you now have, for $278,000 the worlds fastest mobile phone"

Happy

Collapse -
I've paid $100 a year...
by grimgraphix / August 16, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

the past 4 - 5 years to keep a pre paid for a year trac phone and nothing more so I'm not up with the current PDA/iPod/camera/cell phone options.

But here in the states... I don't think we use sim cards... are sim cards common?

grim

Collapse -
Can you get this for free if you sign a 100 year contract
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

with Sprint? Sign me up.

Collapse -
When my Mom (now 81) got her first cell phone....
by Josh K / August 16, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

....a year or so ago, the salesman spent 20 minutes showing her all the cool things it does. The only thing he neglected to demonstrate for my mother was how to make a phone call.

Plain

Collapse -
LOL!!!!
by Terry Browne / August 16, 2006 10:43 AM PDT

That reminds me of when my Dad got his first computer. He explained it like this to me: "You buy a blender or a mixer and you get a 100 pp instruction book. You buy a computer and you get NOTHING! And it IS a little strange that Windows insists that you have to hit a START button in order to shut it off... If you've never seen a computer, how on earth would you know what to do?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Macs haven't made it yet. Maybe someday they will.
by Kiddpeat / August 16, 2006 2:23 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!