Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple

by beatnik / December 3, 2003 12:52 PM PST

How long does apple have to live in the stone age? It is not innovative...it is not the essence of "simplicity"...it is more like the epitome of stupidity...now if only i can break that mouse button on the powerbook in half and make it work in twos..... or at least come out with a wireless two button mouse...heck it is to the point where i wouln't mind a corded one...I know two button mouses are compatable...its just the fact that apple is too stubborn to release their own. I knew there was a reason I hated one button mouses since my years in elementary school.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Apple offers 8 button mice at.. apple.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2003 3:04 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Apple offers 8 button mice at.. apple.com
by beatnik / December 13, 2003 4:50 PM PST

My fault..i was specifically talking about the mx900 bt..of course the price is not a surprise with the weight bluetooth holds on its price tags

Collapse -
3-button mouses exist in the world of apple
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2003 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
by Katrina Winslow / December 30, 2003 9:01 AM PST

I use a wireless Logitech two-button mouse with scroll with both my G4 tower and my Powerbook. They're cheap. Perhaps Apple would rather concentrate on more important and innovative hardware. Get over it. After buying a Powerbook, a few more bucks shouldn't matter.

Collapse -
by mlrsbooks / September 16, 2004 4:57 PM PDT

I also use a Logitech wireless mouse on G4 and G4 powerbook - the only problem is battery power.

Collapse -
by ksb729 / September 16, 2004 10:34 PM PDT

Use both the wired and wireless versions of the Logitech w/ scroll wheel, love them both. The wireless does go through batteries but with rechargables waiting to go nearby it hasn't been a big problem.

Collapse -
Re: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
by b.land / August 19, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

SWANN do a compatilble 2 button mouse -corded,
I have seen wireless ones around too
Bird

Collapse -
Re: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
by paul.woolman / September 17, 2004 4:53 AM PDT

buy a Wacom Intuos tablet for a wireless mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel - fantastic with a pen tool too - works well with 10.3 & G5

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of appl
by dvivion / September 20, 2004 4:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Re: I wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of
by chipz / September 25, 2004 4:36 PM PDT

One of the first things I did after setting up my iMac was to buy a Microsoft Optical 2 button scroll mouse. Although the one button mouse from Apple works and works well, I just find the 2 button mouse more comfortable to use. Chalk it up to using PC's for so many years.

Collapse -
wish 2-button mouses existed in the world of apple
by peter L / December 24, 2004 1:24 AM PST

If you used to work with a mac for more then 10 years,You'll be acustomed to use your keyboard at the same time (CTRL,ALT,apple) and then you'll find out that you are even faster and have more options then just a 2 button mouse.The discussion should be about getting +2 buttons or not.Then you could configure all day moves in every button.
That's the point where I decided to put my Mac mouse to the back up drawer,but when working on my older mac's I don't feel lost.
Peter

Collapse -
by jcrobso / January 31, 2005 1:08 AM PST

Since Mac OSX is unix and unix will support a multi-buttom mouse go get one. John

Collapse -
They do!
by simoncroft / February 12, 2005 3:18 AM PST

A number of companies make them, including Kensington. In fact they make multiple button mice that you can program according to the functions you find important.

Alternatively, most applications reveal the equivallent of the left mouse key if you hold the Control key as you click. Is that so hard?

Collapse -
re read the post.
by TheRogu3Pen / March 9, 2005 1:35 AM PST

I believe that beatnik was wondering why doesn't "Apple" offer a two button mouse. Not "What 3rd party company can I get a 2 button mouse for my Mac?"

Collapse -
Read the post
by taboma. / March 10, 2005 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: re read the post.

Good observation on your part from the original poster. I think the original poster just liked to work with his two-button mouse in Windoze before and wants to keep it. What you are accustomed to, is what you want to keep.
Next, the two-button optical mouse from Apple?
I don't think so!
Just as a question about two button mouses: there are quick-keys that that you can use in place of two button mouses. I use a lot of short-cut keys in many apps. Takes a while to learn them with so many apps out there. Please fill me in why there is a need for an Apple two-button mouse? Maybe Apple sees that there is no reason for it at all?

Kevin

Collapse -
by rg7 / March 20, 2005 11:17 PM PST
Collapse -
Thank you.
by MaestroMurcielago / March 24, 2005 10:24 AM PST

What a great article, thanks for the link rg7. God, I hate all this RACISM against Apple. Apple, especially since the "2nd coming" of Steve Jobs, has been the most innovative, market-savvy, user-friendly technology company in the world. Thank you Apple, and thank you all who defend her!!!!! By the way, OSX Tiger is going to blow anything and everything we've ever seen away. yay!

Collapse -
RACISM against Apple??????????
by TheRogu3Pen / March 25, 2005 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

Are you freakin kidding me???
Checkout the Windows forums and actually count how many times someone slams Macintosh there. Typically they don't. It seems to me that the Mac Freaks slam MS and Windows every chance they get. And before you dust off your soapbox, I'm a Mac user also. Each OS has several advantages over the other but they're designed to do different things. BTW, "User Friendly" is a matter of opinion not a statement of fact. If Mac works for you then use it, if not, there are alternatives. Now I am a Microsoft Certified System Administrator and to become more rounded and employable I decided to take a Macintosh Administrators Class; I was the only one in the class who used Windows. I have never encountered the kind of contempt on a personal or professional level from the other ?students? as I did in that class. I have also had the reverse happen in a few other classes where there were a few Mac users. They were treated with curiosity but still as equals and also as a source of information from the other side and on how both O/S?s have basically the same options and work on the same theories. If Steve is p!ssed off at Bill let it live and/or die with them.
Now quit the "sour grapes" attitude and enjoy your computer.

Collapse -
mouse
by Marie Buteau / May 10, 2005 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. I have used a Logitech trackball on my old 6400 for years and have used my cordless Logitech trackball with thumb wheel on both my G3 and G4 PB. Couldn't live without them.

Collapse -
RG7 had new insight for a two-button mouse and a link posted
by taboma. / March 24, 2005 1:55 PM PST

Thank you for signing up to CNET Reviews and posting probably your first and hopefully your only message and post.
You really need to be aware of what your Doctor prescribed for you and to be sure that you take your medication daily.
If you really need a two button mouse for your keyboard, try this suggestion please:
On the Mac keyboard there are two USB ports for a mouse. Plug one mouse into the left and the other mouse on the right hand side of the keyboard. That way you will have a two button mouse! Works all the time in Windoze and your printer will also print out a new prescription from your Doctor at the same time.

Don't you just love this new feature!? Just make sure that you do not have anything like an 8-button mouse on the right-hand side and a one-button mouse on the left hand side. Trying to coordinate both mouses at once will cause you all kinds of problems and trauma that you may never recover from. Huge learning curve here!
Plus, you will not get that important print-out suggesting newer medication that may be available from your Doctor.
RG7, the link was wonderful. Seemed to remind me of you in a way. Thanks for your post.

What do others in the Forum think on how to help out this poor individual, RG7? He really does need help.
Thanks for your new thoughts?

Kevin

Collapse -
Wow!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 24, 2005 10:50 PM PST

Where did that come from?

I'm sure Apple will come up with a two button mouse, eventually, but in the meantime I will continue to use my Logitech 2 button + scrollwheel optical mouse.
With native support under OS X, left and right clicking plus the scrolling is an absolute joy and really improves productivity.
Once you've done two, you'll never be blue.

P

Collapse -
Blue and Lost
by taboma. / March 26, 2005 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Wow!

P, Using a two button, plus a scroll would put me in LA-LA-LAND along with the RG7 poster. What a waste of our time!
Do not want to go there right now.

Please clue me in on Blue Tooth.
I have not had a subscription to PC Magazine for over four years now.
I am really lost without it. I know Ive've lost it. Yet, I cannot remember when I lost it, or how I lost it.
Maybe, not renewing my PC Magazine subscription?

I have a one button optical mouse for my Mac.
I love it. That's all I need.
Truthfully, I am the worst scroller in the world!!
Cannot get used to it, ever!

When I go to my PC I have a two-button mouse that I am familiar with also.
BlueTooth is for PC?

My dentist has a White one for their PC system.
Figures. Keep all your teeth white? :?))

Kevin

Collapse -
Bluetooth
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: Blue and Lost

Short range wireless communications used by a whole bunch of devices , Telephones, headsets, keyboards, mice (including multi-button), joysticks, the list goes on
http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/ is one place where you can find information about the subject as regards to Apple.
BTW, your attempts at humor, if that's what they are, are not working.

P

Collapse -
Bluetooth
by taboma. / March 27, 2005 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: Bluetooth

P, Thanks for you info concerning Bluetooth. I will file the info. Thanks,
Kevin

Collapse -
Wow!
by TheRogu3Pen / March 24, 2005 11:25 PM PST

Maybe you need to share his prescription.......
Dude Relax!

Collapse -
WOW
by taboma. / March 25, 2005 12:14 PM PST

Just trying to have fun here. Did you go to the link that he suggested? Lots of information there. :?)

Collapse -
The Rogu3Pen
by taboma. / March 26, 2005 2:46 AM PST

Re: rg7 post and link.
Got me on that one!!
I have only a certain amount of time that I can spend on our CNET Foruns each day and it annoys me that wasting our time is rg7s idea.
Did you get succered in also?

Collapse -
Fellow Mac-Users, Please Stop Embarrassing The Rest of Us
by humann--2008 / March 27, 2005 12:41 AM PST

It's OK now, Apple ditched the media death-chant choir years ago. Apple's going to be around for the foreseeable future (just like they were when they only had $3 billion in cash reserves and everybody said they were almost dead). The all-important media knows it too. We no longer need to rush to Apple's aid every time somebody has a reasonable request/criticism. Sorry if the analogy offends but trying to talk about Apple is like trying to talk about Israel. Some people just have so much invested emotionally that *any* criticism mild or harsh is beyond the pale and clearly the work of anti-semites or self-hating jews. Or, God help us, Apple-bashers. Well, I call BS.

Two-button trackpads on powerbooks is a perfectly *reasonable* request/suggestion/gripe. The suggestion that everyone buy a third party mouse to carry around is moot. Especially with Apple courting the PC market as they are, I *know* it would be wise of them to offer (at least) two buttons (at least) as a build-to-order. The only reason not to would be stubbornness. Something that seems to be second only to innovativeness in Cupertino. Didja notice how long it took Steve to dump the widely-hated hockey-puck mouse? If it was really better why aren't they still making it? It took 'em what, two years to get rid of that thing? Why does it take Mr. Jobs so long to listen to the user base who bought him his helicopter?

For the record, I've used and supported Macs exclusively since System 7 *and* I support Israel's right to (co)exist.

Collapse -
Embarrassing
by taboma. / March 27, 2005 1:43 PM PST

Glad you got that off your chest.
What's next, a two button hockey puck?

Collapse -
Moderator: Bob Proffitt. OLD SUBJECT!!!
by taboma. / June 7, 2005 2:52 PM PDT

Beatnick, you are beating this subject to death again!
Your original post was last December 04.

Moderator, Bob Proffitt, old post from Beatnick? Same old question. We have been through this before.
The next answer or suggestion from him will be:
Here is what Apple has to say about their two button mouse? (a blank screen is presented)
Remember? Why put up with it?
Move it?
Thanks, Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.