General discussion

i will never never understand anorexia

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: i will never never understand anorexia
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: i will never never understand anorexia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) terrible ;(
- Collapse -
One can never understand these kinds of diseases....

....unless one suffers from them. Same goes for addiction, alcoholism, etc. Since I'm not an alcoholic, I can't ever fully comprehend why someone would drink themselves into a blackout every Friday night, since my brain doesn't work that way.

Incredible that these women have survived as long as they have. A lot of anorexics aren't nearly as lucky.

- Collapse -
Anorexia seems to be a complex of disorders deriving

from psychology, a literal distortion of how the brain processes the image it sees of the body in the mirror, and the images it sees in the outside world.

A friend (nurse) who worked with Anorexics was pretty rough saying it was all a Daddy complex, but it clearly has other components. I remember hearing a recovered Anorexic saying that when she saw Concentration Camp victims she just wished she could be that thin. She didn't see the horror at all. Some of them are helped in programs which have very special and hyper-correct mirrors in which to examine themselves knowing that it is an accurate reflection of how they look.

What baffles me is the suppression of the desire for food, and particularly (from my own perspective) the desire for the wrong food. I grew up rake thin, and very well fed, but about 30 I went through the picking up 5 pounds a year thing, and finding my appetite growing larger and my excercise levels and interest fading. Wish I could switch off the appetite, just as I wish I could fix my legs and especially feet and do the exercise I should be doing.

Has anyone had any experience with those Dr Scholl machines that some pharmacies have which reccommends which of their "Orthotics" are best? And was it a positive experience. I know I have foot, ankle joint and one knee joint problems, and back problems due to being over weight by about 50 pounds, and I know that the back can pull the whole lower support system out of alignment, and the extra weight can cause the foot problems. I just gotta exercise seriously 6 days a week. As it is I do about half of what I need to do, about 3 times a week.

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) 33 years old, and they look to be 63!

CNET Forums