General discussion

I was snake-bit by HP too; only worse. need help!

I bought a desktop pavilion8655C /Win 98se OS. I should have learned then, but I was a real novice with home pc's. calling tech support was the worst mistake I made. each time I was worse off. now I need to add more memory, but I have a burned out connection on the motherboard(Asus Hawk1.0Cool when I spoke to different purveyors they all said that the board probably wont fit in an HP case because they put their screws in different places. This makes me wonder if I am going to encounter other such instances
or if I should just get the board with a case that it will fitand trust that everything else will fit in place. Any info regarding this and my best course of action would be appreciated Much thanks, Lafitte

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I was snake-bit by HP too; only worse. need help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I was snake-bit by HP too; only worse. need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

Dear Lafitte,

There are motherboards that you can buy that will be compatible with your pavillion. The trouble is, you might have some difficulty finding one. If you can, and it's considerably cheaper, then buy it. On the other hand, if it's too complicated, buy a normal case along with the motherboard.

The most common problem with buying certain systems is usually just the motherboard, case, or insufficient amounts of resources (such as RAM or hard-drive space). I doubt that you will encounter more problems because of the case, though. Everything else, such as the power supply, hard drive, floppy drive, and CD/DVD drive should fit just as it would in any other case.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't, let me know.

-AInTeL

- Collapse -
You might run into another problem

In that your recovery/Master cd that HP gave you may be hardwired/coded to only work with the original hardware so if you don't have an identical motherboard, the installation disk will be useless. You will have to contact HP to find out if that's true of your particular system, and if so, you will have to get a replacement motherboard from them...

Or if you find another motherboard that will work in your case, but your cpu and ram doesn't match up with it, you will be purchasing a new cpu, ram, and a windows installation disk all separately (and finding ME or W98 will be rough except from possibly a local vendor who might still have a few laying around or on the internet). And you will need to identify your other hardware (video/sound/modem) to get drivers for them, plus programs that you won't be able to install from the old HP cd.

If your motherboard is shot, find out from HP what your warranty options are since the system is still 'relatively' new.

TONI

- Collapse -
That's the disadvantage of buying a name brand.

Like Toni said, if you put a new motherboard in that computer that is not one specifically for that model and bought from HP the recovery disk will not work, if you ever have to use it. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that if you replace the MB with a non HP one when you get it hooked up it will work with the HP programs and Windows 98 that is on the hard drive right now. I don't think you will have a problem getting a motherboard to fit in there if you measure the board you have now and compare to the one you are buying. I've done this with a Compaq the problem you run into is with the connections, power, hard drive light, power light, front usb, front audio and so on. All motherboards of different model have different pin order, where you hook the wires from the case to the motherboard. Now, standard cases have single connections that are marked, Power+ Power-, 4 different wires for the usb ports, etc. On name brand models you have a single connection that connects all the front lights and power switches at once and are not clearly marked. Even if you find the order of the wire by taking your case apart you still have to put on little single connections that go on the ends of the wires to hook them up to the new motherboard, if you can find them anywhere at a store. On a front usb port it is awfully hard to look at the 4 wires going into it and tell which one is which if they are not marked, and if you get it wrong you can do some damage.
I suppose if you got through all of this and got it to work you could clone the hard drive in case you ever have to restore it. Because the HP Recovery disk will not work with another motherboard. But you would have to have another hard drive and that would cost more.
The way I see it is your two easiest options are
1. Buy a new motherboard from HP, they cost more than one you can pick up online or at a local computer store but you would be able to run the HP recovery disk with all the programs on it.
2. Buy a cheaper standard atx motherboard and buy a case also, I saw a case on sale on newegg.com for $9.99 or geeks.com for $37.99 with a 450 watt power supply. Everything hooks up with instructions and is marked. Then transfer hard drive floppy cd and dvd drives to it. Then you could clone the drive or better yet buy a oem version of XP and save all your personal files and then clean install XP.

- Collapse -
If new case needed..

I highly recommend the $9.99 one posted above by trytohelp.
I bought a couple months ago & one of best lay outs I've seen. Tempted to buy another one.
RJ

- Collapse -
HP using recovery CD with other motherboard

I succeedded to use a HP recovery disk with another model of computer.

First, use that recovery disk on its associated old computer.
It starts by creating a virtual disk, using your memory

Log to that disk name (Y: ?) and edit the file
Copy the identifier which caracterizes the old motherboard.

Move to the new computer.
Then repeat whith the new motherboard, locate the virtual file, edit and inscribe the old identifier.

No guaranty ....

- Collapse -
I'm a little confused

by your instructions.........you say log into the diskname (are you saying the Drive Letter in Windows Explorer?) And edit which file and where is it located (folder)? Not having an HP system here to hunt the files down, I would appreciate your giving an example of the file you edited such as the name of the file and the extension used by HP. Is the 'identifier' you mention the equivalent of the CLSID number you see assigned in the registry?

Thank you for letting us know you succeeded...this is good information to have as a workaround to continue to use an original vendor recovery/restore disk. A few more specific details would be appreciated though so others (including myself) have a clearer picture of what we can do to possibly accomplish the same feat.

TONI

CNET Forums

Forum Info