Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

I was forewarned about SpyBot

by prov2001 / March 27, 2008 6:14 AM PDT

Having used SpyBot for some years without difficulty (with XP), I disregarded the CNET Editor's difficulty in recommending the current version of SpyBot Search and Destroy.

I downloaded it to my new Toshiba laptop, with Vista. And, as I had been forewarned, it froze up (stopped responding) during the installation. I had to uninstall it and do a System Restore.

Just wanted to put the word out that it happened to me too. So... be careful, y'all.

Best wishes.

RonInRI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I was forewarned about SpyBot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I was forewarned about SpyBot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you have the latest version...
by glenn30 / March 27, 2008 6:42 AM PDT

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20? As far as I know that is the latest and said to be compatible with Vista. I run it with Vista Ultimate without issues. If Vista UAC is enabled maybe it would install if disabled. Some are having issues with UAC enabled while installing software.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
Yes, it was the SpyBot current version
by prov2001 / March 27, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

Yes, I was downloading the latest version from download.com.

As for the USC, this is the first time I've encountered Vista USC. There's a lot written about it...I'll look through all that and I may decide to give it a try with USC disabled, though I'm reluctant, given the CNET Editor's caveat ref. this version of SpyBot S&D, and this latest experience trying to download it.

Thanks, Glenn.

Collapse -
(NT) That is "UAC"... typo I know ;)
by glenn30 / March 27, 2008 7:03 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?