Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I want to see if there are updates for my audio driver...

by Daviddude / April 9, 2006 1:08 AM PDT

Hi, I have a Realtek audio driver sound thing installed on my computer and I have a newer version on my computer at work. The only difference is the bells and whistles...Anyway
How do I find a new driver for my sound card?
I have an Insignia D400a with Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 2.80 GHz and 512 MB of Ram. I went to Realtek's web site, and there are some drivers but I didn't see any info on how to know which one is or will work for my computer.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to see if there are updates for my audio driver...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to see if there are updates for my audio driver...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's broken?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

If nothing, don't fix it.

Said driver update is not from realtek or Microsoft (period) but from your machine or motherboard maker. They'll have it there or tell you where...

Bob

Collapse -
Re What's Broken
by Daviddude / April 9, 2006 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: What's broken?

Nothing is broken, just the bells and whistles I am looking for. The current Realtek driver I found (and don't remember how I did) but I didn't have it when I bought my computer, I found it and installed it for the interface and EQ presets and adjustment capabilities...

Collapse -
So you're done?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re What's Broken

"I found it and installed it for the interface and EQ presets and adjustment capabilities"...

Sounds like you are now done.

Bob

Collapse -
No.....
by Daviddude / April 9, 2006 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: So you're done?

Not really, I want the new features of the new driver package they have, but not sure how to find the one that will work for my system. I recently got a new computer for work, and it has the Realtek package, and this is a newer version and has more EQ presets and settings, I want to find that one for my home computer.

Collapse -
To find it, we need to know make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: No.....

Try these if you don't know the details of the home computer.

http://www.lavalys.com/
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

The second link is something I advise to print out and store with your software CD set.

If I had the hardware sections from said reports, it might be possible to find the driver. But so far the details needed have not been shared.

bob

Collapse -
Details Needed
by Daviddude / April 9, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Hi Bob, here is some information from the second link, is this what you are needing?

Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) vpr Matrix, Inc. D400A D400A
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Intel Corporation D845GVSR AAC45439-302
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Collapse -
That D845GVSR is the real nugget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Details Needed

Armed with the maker (Intel) and the model number D845GVSR I can now use google.com to quickly find the latest offered driver.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Intel+D845GVSR+drivers

And one click from the second link http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1065&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21 I see the Audio driver has a date of 2/28/2006.

Pretty amazing once you know what you have. Google has made all the difference for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Daviddude / April 9, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, I am downloading it now.

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?