Computer Help forum

General discussion

I want to remove windows me and install xp

I want to removed windows me and install xp, i was told to do a back up disc i have a burner can anyone help me on how to do a back up. Will i have to install msn and yahoo messenger again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to remove windows me and install xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to remove windows me and install xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends...

In reply to: I want to remove windows me and install xp

The exact process of backing up your data depends on the software you are using. (Nero, Roxio, and Sonic are the top three.) You'll basically use the programs' wizard to browse for the files/folders you want to backup, then burn the data to CD. Once you've converted to Windows XP, you then copy and paste those files/folders to where you want them. Fore detailed instructions, let us know what software and version you have.

Things you'll want to make sure you backup: all your documents, your favorites/bookmarks, any files from Micosoft Money, Quicken, etc, any saved game files, etc. For information about where to find such things let us know what programs and games you have. For a general guide, click here.

Now, there are two ways you can upgrade...in-place or complete. With an in-place upgrade you won't have to remove Windows ME or lose any of your files, settings, or programs. However, there are some downsides to this option. You can read more about this by clicking here. The other way is a complete installation of Windows XP, where you completely wipe everything and start fresh. For instructions on this method, click here. In this case you'll have to reinstall all your programs and copy/paste all of your files back into place.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I would

In reply to: Depends...

Great answer John. I would highly recommend doing the last choice. Its always best to start out fresh. If you can I would also recommend at least a usb flash drive, or Like me back up with a partition on your hddo drive and add a second drive hdd1 to your system if you can. Then you have backup. Always backup anything important. I'm actually on a network so I have 4 computers and they all have the same backup. starting with my pc I have 2 sata drives 1 300 gig with a partition 200gigs for backup and access to these files. Then I have a 200gig sata that is all for backing up the partition on the other drive. If you have a lot of stuff and you need lot of room an external hard drive is another option, and will be my next move. Then I can take that with me anywhere. working with this stuff is a lot easier with XP. Hope this helps.
Skip

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!