Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

I want to prevent second internal HD mounting on startup

by Steve 1 2 3 / February 5, 2010 7:11 AM PST

I have two internal HDs. The second is used as one of my cloned bootable backups. Since it is not needed to be mounted all the time, to save wear, I would like to instruct my Mac not to mount it on startup. (I could always mount it using Disc Utility.)

How can I do that please?

G5/2.0 Hz, OS 10.5.8

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to prevent second internal HD mounting on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to prevent second internal HD mounting on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure you can do that,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 8:17 AM PST

and don't see the "save wear" as a valid argument.

If you don't use it, mount it in an external enclosure and only connect it when needed

P

Collapse -
Bearing wear
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 5, 2010 10:26 PM PST

I was thinking that keeping the HD spinning all the time would wear the bearings more and shorten the life of the drive. I assume that from your reply that is not a practical problem.

(I use the second internal now and again to drop back into OS 10.3.9 to run DVD Studio Pro 3. The current version is bundled with Final Cut Pro and other software, at great expense.)

Collapse -
I would remove that drive,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: Bearing wear

stick it in an enclosure and boot from it when I needed it.

Question. DVD Studio Pro 3 does not run under your current operating system?

P

Collapse -
DVD Studio Pro
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 6, 2010 3:11 AM PST

No. It launches, and it is possible to edit projects, but it won't save, so is unusable.

Collapse -
I wonder if the not saving thing
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: DVD Studio Pro

is because there is a file missing and it "thinks" that you are using a demo of the product which will allow you to try it out but not save any of the created projects.

Check in the Applications data of the 3.9 drive, also the preference file for anything to do with that program and copy it to the same place on the other drive.

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 6, 2010 7:07 PM PST

I will try that.

Collapse -
com.apple.dvdstudiopro.plist
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 7, 2010 6:56 PM PST

OS 10.3.9/Library/Application Support has several folders but the only one with anything in it is "Untitled Template" which cannot be read by a text editor.

in OS 10.5.8/..~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dvdstudiopro.plist whose text is radically different from the one in OS 10.3.9. for example, it begins :

"bplist00

Collapse -
Drag the 10.5.8 plist
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 9:03 PM PST

onto the desktop.
Then drag the 10.3.9 plist into the 10.3.9 library while holding down the Option key.

This will copy and not just move.

Boot from 10.5 disk and try the program.

If all goes wrong, just put the copy of the plist that you moved to the desktop, back in place again.

You are probably looking for a Preference file too. Users/yourname/Library/Preferences.
Do the same with that file too.

P

Collapse -
I tried that...
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 9, 2010 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Drag the 10.5.8 plist

... but the program quit almost immediately. However, I have been using it under OS 10.3.9 very successfully for over a year, (although it's rather inconvenient).

Thanks.

Collapse -
There is one more thing you could try,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: I tried that...

Using the original install disks and serial number, install it on the other partition.

P

Collapse -
?
by Steve 1 2 3 / February 9, 2010 4:50 AM PST

The drive which has DVD SP 3 installed is the drive holding OS 10.5.8 It is not partitioned. DVD SP 3 was installed on to it from the installation disc and using the serial number. DVD SP 3 has never worked properly under my OS 10.5.8 Perhaps I could try re-installing it.

Collapse -
Worth a shot
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: ?

to try to put it on the drive that it currently does not allow you to save.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?