General discussion

I want to play X-Com terror from the deep but it wont work

the mouse is the number one problem i forget the second error i used to get. The mouce runs fine on xp but it wont work on 98. (i have tried usb and the green connection on the back.)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I want to play X-Com terror from the deep but it wont work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I want to play X-Com terror from the deep but it wont work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Isn't that DOS based?

If that's true you need the PS/2 or Serial connected mouse and it's DOS driver installed. This is reaching back over a decade so I won't go further than this much instruction.
Bob

- Collapse -
awww :(

all the classic games dont work anymore Sad and that was back in the day when videogames prefered quality of gameplay over graphics. what a shame

- Collapse -
Or

You could setup the machine to run DOS?

- Collapse -
d

how?

- Collapse -
Shock?

Sorry but given how many years this old OS has been out there are plenty of articles to be had (or you could use the F8 key?) plus I noted the need for the right keyboard and mouse. You might have to reveal if you are not an old timer and this is some machine that was a hand me down that would explain how you escaped learning about DOS.
Bob

- Collapse -
Please tell me how to set up the computer to run DOS

How do i set it up to run dos? And you are right videogames (save the total war series) are pretty much worthless now, their prime has long past.

- Collapse -
Re: running DOS

I'd start with the DOS that comes with Windows 98. Press ctrl or tap f8 during boot (while it displays Loading Windows 98 ...), so it comes in the boot menu, then choose to boot into MS-DOS.

You might be able to set that as a default in the general tab of MSCONFIG, but I'm not sure of that.

Kees

- Collapse -
Use the [MENU] system in your startup files

You can set up a Menu in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to start Windows98 in various DOS boots as well as Windows. Here is just one example....

PLEASE NOTE: This Menu system will not work unless you modify your MSDOS.sys file to contain BootGUI=0 (it is usually BootGUI=1).

- Collapse -
Wow ...

that looks old (but definitely proven!).

Kees

- Collapse -
any of you know of an old computer that could run this that

I could buy online?

- Collapse -
Locked.

See our Vista forum why.

CNET Forums