Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

I want to make my Cisco 678 a DSL modem only

by kgifford / July 17, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

I recently got Qwest/Cisco 678 DSL. Now I have a new wireless router that I want to hook up to the Cisco 678 ethernet port. However, I need to disable one of the routing function, and I want to do it on the Cisco 678. Does anyone know the CBOS commands or can point me to a source? Please don't tell me to read the Cisco 678 Manual because it doesn't tell me enough on how to do it.

Thanks, Kerry.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to make my Cisco 678 a DSL modem only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to make my Cisco 678 a DSL modem only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could it be?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 8:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Making my Cisco 678 a DSL modem only
by kgifford / July 18, 2006 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Could it be?

Thanks for the link to Seanet. It has new info that I've not seen before. However, the article actually does not say that these steps will configure the 678 as a modem only nor does it say that it diable the routing function so that another device can handle it. However, I will try these steps and see if that works. You added "Set bridging enabled?" Not knowing what "set bridging rfc1483 enable" does but was willing to try something, I have done this once before (of course w/o the steps in the Seanet article), and that didn't work either. Are you saying I must do this after doing the Seanet steps?

Thanks, Kerry.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Collapse -
In one line...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

Bridging could disable the NAT and ROUTER. Cisco has fine call support centers I've used in the past. I will not offer any indepth discussion since you have to dive in and push along to by trying this.

You can always go back.

Bob

Collapse -
Set Bridging will do it?
by kgifford / July 19, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: In one line...

Hey man, I'm not ignoring you in this forum. I happened to post in Broadband and then realized that I could get more response in a forum more closer to what my problem is related to. Anyway, thanks for replying. As I said in prior reply, I've tried setting bridging before, and it appears not to work. Armed with additional instructions from DLink as well, I've just haven't found the time to delve into this and try again. Yup, I've had to undo couple of times already, so nothing is really lost by trying.

I've been on Cisco's website, and I gather that everyone must have a service call number before tech support will yak at you, and I don't have a number.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!