Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I want to keep away geese from my home

by tomspiro008 / March 2, 2009 5:14 PM PST

Hello friends,
I have nice backyard and lovely lawn inside but one serious problem also inside. I and my family suffer by geese in the lawn.
Someone told me to buy hunting dog. But, is this is the last solution for preventing the geese?
Help me...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to keep away geese from my home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to keep away geese from my home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's attracting them?
by Steven Haninger / March 2, 2009 7:57 PM PST

Is there water and food nearby? good nesting spots?? We've Canada Geese all over the area for the last several years and they are about to start building nests. They flock generally where there is water nearby but not always. They are aggressive when nesting and raising young. We live with them but a few who dare to defy traffic on roadways will perish. What I'd do is check with your local animal control authorities or wildlife services and see what they recommend. You don't want to buy and care for a dog just for these seasonal homesteaders.

Collapse -
Give us some hints.
by Dan McC / March 2, 2009 8:54 PM PST

Where are you? Describe your landscaping. How many geese? What kind of geese.

Dan

Collapse -
Generally Ross Geese
by tomspiro008 / March 5, 2009 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: Give us some hints.

Hi there,
I am living in Canada.
In my garden generally I found ross geese. and they are in number of quantities.

Thanks.

Collapse -
A wildlife officer
by Angeline Booher / March 2, 2009 11:55 PM PST

..... would be your best bet.

As Steven said, something is attracting them to your yard, IMO, it must be special because geese that migrate through here (and stop to have their young) are drawn to water, In my neighborhood we have a reservoir, as well as a river. Some find sanctuary in nearby treed areas.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
State websites
by Willy / March 3, 2009 2:04 AM PST

Your manicured yard is why they come. They can see any of their enemies from a distance as their vision is non-obstructed. If you have further advantages and they've been coming back, consider it a lost cause. A dog as someone mentioned may do the trick but also a "robo-cutter" yard mower may do too. If you unsettle them, they move on to greener pastures, but this is a constant job. A wildlife ranger or visit your state conversation website and see what they suggest. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try the Goosebuster?............works for ducks also
by JP Bill / March 3, 2009 3:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Goose Repellent

Hello Friends,

I hear about Goose Buster. But I don't know any more about it. If any of you know some good Goose Control Service provider them please suggest me.

Collapse -
RE: But I don't know any more about it.
by JP Bill / March 6, 2009 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: Goose Repellent
Collapse -
(NT) Marry a dog. Works for demons.
by drpruner / March 3, 2009 4:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Toronto is over-run with them, especially High Park which
by Ziks511 / March 3, 2009 5:43 AM PST

has Grenadier Pond which is small lake sized but is shallow, plus some other watering holes. Plus Lake Ontario and some lovely reclaimed land (the Leslie Spit) plus Toronto Island.

The geese are attracted by the grass which they feed on with great delight, and give you lots of lovely messy fertilizer to make it grow.

Virtually any kind of dog will do. Terriers are aggressive but the small ones are yappy unless well trained. It sort of comes down to whether you actually want a dog, and the care and responsibility that goes with it. Otherwise contact the local Wildlife Officer or a Conservation Area near you, check the web for goose repellers. Even the Agriculture Department might have a suggestion. If you were in Canada I'd say contact the Provincial Ministry of Natural Resources which handles a multitude of tasks.

Canada Geese and their sub-varieties are one of nature's success stories in the human environment, like coyotes and raccoons, squirrels and pigeons. They easily lose their fear of humans and will invade any habitat that attracts them. They don't care about noise, cars or people, or even pollution so far as I can tell. They're just 16 hour a day eating machines and are very hardy. Toronto has a large year round population despite the cold and the wind, and iced over ponds. They dig through the snow for the grass and weeds, they'll even eat the buds off trees.

Best of luck,

Rob

Collapse -
duck, duck,....
by James Denison / March 6, 2009 10:31 PM PST
Collapse -
Use of blood meal as a fertilizer may work, but it is
by Ziks511 / March 8, 2009 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: duck, duck,....

initially rather pungent in odour but that goes away after a few days. It will also keep cats out of the gardens, deer away from the cedars and dogs out of your yard. It needs to be reapplied after heavy rain storms, but it is good for the lawn.

Rob B

Collapse -
Why I don't want to use hunting dog?
by tomspiro008 / March 9, 2009 8:01 PM PDT

hello friends,
I told you why I don't want to keep any hunting dog.
1) I have to look after the dog all the time.
2) I have to careful about feeding it.
Last But more Important
3) I am so afraid by DOG.

So geese control pest is the last solutions for me.

Collapse -
When I looked at the species you mentioned
by Steven Haninger / March 9, 2009 8:28 PM PDT

it appears that they are migratory. What we don't know is if you are on their migratory route or a destination point. If the former, the condition is temporary and there probably isn't much you can do. If the later, you need to explore ways to make your property unwelcoming. I can't tell you what these are but, as mentioned by several including myself, wildlife authorities might be able to help you. Now, if your likes regarding your property are similar to another animals likes, you get company. You either change your lifestyle or move to where these geese don't go.

Collapse -
Re : Geese Control
by annypeterson / March 31, 2009 9:23 PM PDT

I agreed Dude...The geese control is much better solution for this...

Collapse -
Geese Control Problem
by annypeterson / April 1, 2009 6:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re : Geese Control

Geese control has become a major problem in US and other countries and I am looking for a more and more information on effective permanent solution on geese control.

Collapse -
Don't think you'll find a permanent solution
by Steven Haninger / April 1, 2009 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Geese Control Problem

other than to move to where geese don't....and won't....ever care to live. The same goes for such as ants, other insects and many vermin. Antarctica may not have ant's and mice but those awful penguins can be a noisy nuisance. Happy

Collapse -
Don't think you'll find a permanent solution
by annypeterson / April 2, 2009 5:44 PM PDT

Hello Friend,

Today I here about the use of green laser pointers to keep geese away from our home and working place. If you know about the use of green laser pointers to keep gees away then please share that information with me. Believe I never know about this before.

Collapse -
What you asked for was a
by Steven Haninger / April 2, 2009 8:58 PM PDT
permanent solution. I don't know about green laser pointers but it would seem to me that, even if they worked, you'd need to constantly firing the light at them. This would seem to maybe persuade a single goose (and maybe its mate) to leave for a time but what's to say it wouldn't come back or other geese wouldn't take its place? Perhaps some might consider it a fun toy to annoy the geese but I don't see it having the affect you desire. I wouldn't waste the time looking into it.
Collapse -
There are also motion sensors that squirt water at whatever
by Ziks511 / April 3, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

is moving. Michael has spread un slaked lime everywhere to drive the deer away from the cedars.

Rob

Collapse -
I get the solutions
by tomspiro008 / March 11, 2009 7:09 PM PDT

Hello friends finally I get the solution,
Someone suggest me site which is provide geese pest control service. I just give the contract and now my home free from geese.

Thanks
-----------------------
Canadian Geese Repellent - http://www.flightcontrol.com/

Collapse -
(NT) How did they taste? :-)
by Steven Haninger / March 11, 2009 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I get the solutions
Collapse -
You shouldn't eat them...
by EdHannigan / March 11, 2009 11:37 PM PDT

Those Canada Geese like to hang out on golf courses and such like places that feature yummy lush green grass...which are full of pesticides and weed killers. And so are the geese. If you eat them you will likely become very ill.

I realize you were joking, but it needs to be said.

Collapse -
He said Ross Geese
by Steven Haninger / March 11, 2009 11:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Geese Control Problem
by annypeterson / April 6, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

How effective the use chemical to keep geese away?

Collapse -
Geese Control
by annypeterson / April 9, 2009 8:13 PM PDT

As you are using their services, Please let me know, How effective the use of chemical geese repellent on geese control?

Collapse -
Are you sure about this?
by Steven Haninger / April 9, 2009 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Geese Control

This repellent says it's for Canada geese but the originator of the thread said the problem is Ross geese. I also cannot help but notice that both you and the originator have no other activity in the Cnet forums other than than related to goose control which culminates in the offering of a professional service including a link to it. How are folks to know this is "on the level"?

Collapse -
my thought
by oldie and goody / April 10, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

also. Spammers are getting sneaky about bye passing the rules. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Perhaps the easiest way is to move.
by caktus / April 3, 2009 2:34 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?