Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

i want to keep a windows 2000 server and add windows 2008 S

I have a network enviroment where my windows 2000 server is just acting as fileserver for sharing, so all the users has an account there with username, password and a list of access rights.

Now i want to keep this server but also i want to add a new Windows 2008 R2 64 bit server as a domain controller.
1- It Is this possible have both server and still allow users to access both of them ?

More specifically:

2-It is ok to make this server 2008 a the domain contoller and enable AD, DNS and dhcp ?

3- I want all the users accounts to be the same in the domain controller so they can still use the same username and password to login into the domain as well into the windows 2000 server that is setup as a workgroup. What i am suppose to do here to make sure that when a user logs onto the domain, they are also still able to access the windows 2000 server ?
4- Do i need to do something to the windows 2000 sever to make sure this is seen by the new DC or join the domain controller, or how do we integrate this old windows server 2000 to still be seem and still be functional in the enviroment so it can be accessed by the clients computers?
Note: My clients computers are windows 2000 pro, xp and windows7 32 and 64bit.
The reason i would like to keep the windows 2000 server is cause i have SBT PRO 5.0 application installed there and about 20 users access this server to run the application. so would like to keep this in this server in case the new server failed at any time, still the users can access this server.
Thanks a lot in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i want to keep a windows 2000 server and add windows 2008 S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i want to keep a windows 2000 server and add windows 2008 S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Those topics are covered

In reply to: i want to keep a windows 2000 server and add windows 2008 S

In the classes on server administration. Also you can find fine books and of course the web. But if I could I would retire the 2000 since it has some issues that MSFT never patched so it is a security risk. There are so few 2000 machines with more than a TB of disk space for a reason I hope you know why. And if it does fail before you retire it, it can be painful.

Sorry but again, you need to take the classes, books or use the internet on this one and my last advice is to never risk a business on 2000 due to that unpatched condition that I hope you know about.
Bob

Collapse -
It is possible to transfer the accounts from 2000 to 2008

In reply to: Those topics are covered

Ok,
i will follow your suggestions but can i save some time by transfer the account from windows 2000 server to windows 2008 server ? if so can you point to a link ?
Thanks a lot, it is been a long time not talking to you.

Collapse -
There are many articles on the web about this.

In reply to: It is possible to transfer the accounts from 2000 to 2008

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=How+to+transfer+accounts+from+windows+2000+server+to+2008 seems to be what I would use.

You didn't tell if you knew about the unpatched issues or why 2000 makes a poor choice for a business. It might have been fine a few years ago but and I'm just writing what I think here at the risk of upsetting folk, the issues went from bad to worse about 2010. That's when we pulled the plug on our 2000 based machines. A few older folk were miffed but it wasn't worth the risk, cost or support.

Mind you that I ran NT 4.0 (server and wks) for years until I move to 2000 (server and wks) and today we don't bother with a server as what we do is fine with a file server.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.