HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I want to get rid ofd Pics, Help!!

by tholmes / November 4, 2004 10:15 PM PST

I have a annoying problem with my PC, I am running windows xp home edition and when I right click on my desk top and choose properties and then click on Desk Top tab, and I want to choose a different picture for my desk top, I find there is all the pictures that are in my Documents, Pictures folder in there as well!! I don't want halve of them to show up as a choice for my desktop, how do I get rid of them??? I tried deleting the pitures them self in the Pictures folder and they are gone but the actual pics are still in the choice area for a new desk top picture...Thank you
Tobius Holmes...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to get rid ofd Pics, Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to get rid ofd Pics, Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I want to get rid ofd Pics, Help!!
by roddy32 / November 4, 2004 10:48 PM PST

There should be a drop down box there with a bunch of different options including "none", also, if you click on the "browse" button you should be able to pick anything you want, just follow the path to whatever folder you would like. Hope this helps. There is also a "customize desktop" button which will give you more options.

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 5, 2004 6:23 AM PST

Thank you for the help, I guess I didnt make it very clear, I meant how can I get rid of the pics that are there completely? As in no longer on my computer? As in No longer a choice for desk top?
Happy
Thanks...
Tobius...

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:06 AM PST

Yeah I think I see what you mean Tobias.

When you open up Display properties and goto the Desktop tab, the list of desktop pictures you see includes pictures that are no longer on your computer.

You want to delete them from the list right?

I don't know a solution myself, but hopefully others do.

Mark

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 6, 2004 1:10 AM PST

Thats right, I want to get rid of them 100%, I have already deleted them from my computer but they still show up in the desk top pictures area..
grrrrr!! That is so maddening!!! Happy

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 5, 2004 8:30 PM PST

What I do is NOT to put pictures in the My Documents/My Pictures folder. I put them somewhere else in a specually created folder outside of My Documents. I only put pictures which I want to be used as desktop wall papers in the My Documents/My Pictures folder. Note that the My Pictures folder contains special in-built features for dealing with pictures put in that folder. So, in tyour case, just move the pictures somewhere else by e.g. cut and paste, or copy to another folder and then delete the origional ones.

Collapse -
Addendum
by Papa Echo / November 5, 2004 8:40 PM PST

In my case, the pictures are gone from the list if they are removed from the My Pictures folder. If you still find them in trhe drop down list, then perhaps you did not reboot the computer ? If you know the names of the pictures, then use 'Search' to find and delete them. They are probably somewhere in the Windows or Windows/System32 folder or they may be copies, now hidden and still in the My Pictures folder. hope this helps.

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 6, 2004 1:22 AM PST

Thank you!! A Million times Over!!
As soon as I went into my documents folder made a new file, then in to my pictures folder and highlighted all the pictures there and then clicked on the word "move" I then selected the folder I had set up in "my Documents" folder for them and moved them over there, and then rebooted the computer, and then looked in the desktop part they were gone except for a few which I found by search..
So thank you they are finally gone!
Tobius...

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 6, 2004 7:06 AM PST

Glad it helped. Pass it on !

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 6, 2004 4:23 PM PST

Actually I would like to take your advice with your permission and put it in my ezine...Please let me know if that is ok with you?
Thanks
Tobius...

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 6, 2004 4:47 PM PST

Actually, my 2 cents worth has been documented else where, perhaps in a book on XP, or in this very forum, but I can't recall where. Perhaps the right place to ask permission ( if indeed that is required) to put that in your ezine would be CNet or Lee Koo (Admin). I have no objection. Afterall, this is for sharing. Would you like to tell us more about your ezine, a link perhaps ?

Collapse -
by tholmes / November 7, 2004 2:09 AM PST

Papa Echo thanks for the tip, I will make sure to ask Cnet if I can do that..
As I have found some very helpful ideas here in the different forums...
My ezine is web based, comes out once a week, usually Monday and I can give the link for it, and if anyone wants to sign up there is a link at the bottom of the page..
It is just a free ezine with trivia, computer tips, jokes funny pics things like that...
Anyways here is the link as requested...
http://www.radicalezine.bravehost.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.