HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

General discussion

I want to connect this TV to my computer

by jojobombiest / October 16, 2007 6:43 PM PDT

So, I'm an experienced computer user. I've been on this problem for a few days and have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have a 19" LCD Computer Monitor and I have a 32" Sharp LCD TV that I want to use when I watch movies on my computer. The TV works fine in safe mode, but it will not load windows. At first I thought it was the refresh rate, or the resolution. So I lowered those down as far as they will go, but with no luck. I tried reinstalling the video card drivers. I've tried a new monitor cable. I've tried using s-video, and it actually works but the quality is so bad that I'd rather go out and rent the movie on DVD. I've tried a different slot on my video card. I've tried jiggling and wiggling for hours but nothing happens. It's just black! I have been playing around with my video card settings for hours and tried everything but nothing seems to work.

The thing that I don't get is it worked about a month ago on my computer and I haven't gotten any new hardware or software; I'm baffled. Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to connect this TV to my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to connect this TV to my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell the specifics.
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2007 6:57 PM PDT

What video card? What driver version? What connection? What cable?
What's your OS? What mediaplayer (and version)? What file type?

What do you mean with "The TV ... will not load windows"?
If it works fine in Safe Mode, why not simply use Safe Mode to view movies on the TV? That seems an easy work-around.

Kees

Collapse -
RE
by jojobombiest / October 16, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

It's a GeForce 8800-GTS with the newest drivers and a standard monitor cable connected through a DVI adapter. I'm running XP home. What I'm saying is the TV will show the windows logo when loading up and then it will go black. However, when I go into safe mode it will load windows that way. I would like to use the monitor for other things but for the time being I'm just trying to watch a movie. I appreciate your response.

Collapse -
I don't think it's a motherboard problem ...
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2007 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

because it's a separate videocard. But I really don't know what the problem could be. I think it should work if you set the resolution, refresh rate (and possibly other parameters) down to what they are in Safe Mode (which is rather low, of course). Windows, when it displays the logo, uses that same minimal default specs, because it doesn't yet know about the video card and it's settings. And as soon as it knows, it adjusts the signal to something that the TV doesn't understand.

Check the specs of the TV what it can accept and set the videocard to deliver exactly that, like it does in Safe Mode (which is: standard VGA).
And, if it used to work a month ago, try System Restore back to then.

Anyway, your problem is much clearer now, and you might get other (better) help.

Kees

Collapse -
Also check the specs of the DVI adapter.
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2007 10:29 PM PDT

Could it be it only accepts standard VGA? Hardly imaginable, I admit, but somewhere in the chain something is blocking the signal, it seems.

Kees

Collapse -
Got to remember...
by ahtoi / October 17, 2007 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

If this is not an HDTV, the resolution is only 480p.

Collapse -
Could be Mother Board problem
by Dango517 / October 16, 2007 7:15 PM PDT

See MB vendors site for driver up dates. (Untracked)

Collapse -
Try a quality cable
by zipityzap / January 27, 2009 3:02 AM PST

The higher the resolution, the more pixels and the more data transfer (bandwidth required). You suggest that the TV works in the safe mode (low resolution). This suggests that your cable does not support the higher bandwidth required for the TV resolution. Try a better quality cable. PCTVCables.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.