Laptops forum

General discussion

I want to buy a MacBook but I desperately need some HEELPP!!

by kanderman / September 9, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Right now until Sept 16 they are giving away free nanos with MacBooks...do you think this is a strategy to get rid of their MacBook stock for new MacBooks or are they trying to get rid of their nano stock for the new nano release...I was hoping for an ultraportable macbook because I LOVE my ultraportable that I have right now and there have been rumors about it but I don't know if I should wait or buy one now! I really badly want a macbook but with Leopards release imminent it only makes the situation more complex. Do you guys think I should wait for Leopards release to see if there is a new MacBook for the holiday season, or should I wait for the nano deal to end and hope there will be a new release this month or should I buy one now as there won't probably be releasing a new one for a good 6 months or so? Please help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to buy a MacBook but I desperately need some HEELPP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to buy a MacBook but I desperately need some HEELPP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 4:43 AM PDT

For instance the units with LED backlighting are unlikely to see an update. The others are possible.

If you don't want a laptop that gets updated in a year you should not look at Apple. I agree this is the best way to keep ahead of the competition. They must move or die. Only those that hate such should stay away.

-> The next big thing will be the OS. That is about the day (or week later) that I plan on my purchase.

Bob

Collapse -
the....
by kanderman / September 9, 2007 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Which one?

I am talking about the black 1,499 dollar macbook. I don't think they are LED right? Anyway so you are saying I should wait for Leopard and then buy? Yea...I understand I just don't want to buy one then have a better one come out 2 months later...what do you think?

Collapse -
Links help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: the....

I think you mean this one -> http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html

If I was unclear, sorry. But any non-LED product is likely to see the switch since Apple was clear about moving away from CCFL backlighting. While the mercury content is minuscule it's still enough to cause recycling issues.

You also can research the longer battery life and that snap-on look as the LEDs turn on. Very nice.

You're right. That one is prime for a change.

As to the OS, I've seen the changes and for me I'll bide my time.

Bob

Collapse -
ooh sorry...
by kanderman / September 9, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Links help.

Sorry I did misunderstand you. Ok so I will wait it out then. In your opinion should I wait for the end of the free nano deal or for the release of leopard or just a month or so when christmas buying starts?

Collapse -
My neighbor waited till it they couldn't wait no more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: ooh sorry...

What happened? The laptop they bought was much better than when they started looking. The advice I stand by is to always wait if you can. If you can eek by another 30 days, do that and then see if you can get by for some more.

At some point you pull the trigger.

Bob

Collapse -
haha....
by kanderman / September 9, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

Haha, thanks...I'll try really hard to get by 30 days with no laptop as I am selling mine on ebay right now...after that I will have to buy. Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Bob is right on this
by austere_sly / September 9, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Telling you my experience, I started researching on which laptop to buy on aug '06. I was then in 3rd year Graduation (India). I waited and waited. Core Duo came and went, Core 2 Duo (667 Mhz FSB) came and is about to go and Core 2 Duo (800 Mhz FSB) has come. And guess what, I still haven't bought a laptop. During this waiting one thing I realized was that I actually didn't need laptop. My desktop worked for me just fine. Now after graduation, the IT company which I have joined has given a laptop. Its a old machine Compaq V2000. Not bad for procrastinator like me.

P.S. :Sorry my post actually didn't have any answers for you, but could not stop myself from telling my exp.

Collapse -
interesting....
by kanderman / September 9, 2007 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob is right on this

So you say what the heck just buy one haha...now I'm confused but still gonna wait it out 30 days...which may only make it 20 days if I can make it to 15 days which might I might only be able to make 10 but I probobly cant wait that long so I might 5 days...lol

Collapse -
go for it
by Blink4life90 / September 9, 2007 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: interesting....

as far as the mac book goes the only upgrade you will see in the near future will be like you have mentioned led and the jump to the santa rosa chips prosessors which is currently in the pros. the led is only going to give you a better battery life, how much i can't tell you and the specs for the processors right now for the macbooks are great for their prices. if you really want a mac book now go for it!! no sense waiting because your just going to reget it. as far as leopard goes who cares its only 130$ if you really want it when it comes out and thats not for a while yet. so im saying go for it

Collapse -
so...
by kanderman / September 9, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: go for it

so you don't think they will release a new ultraportable laptop soon? Or slim down the 13in model...

Collapse -
you know...
by kanderman / September 10, 2007 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: so...

you know what I was just thinking...since that deal with the free nano ends soon that HAS to mean SOMETHING is going to happen, right? It can't really just be a deal for a little while and then end. It would decrease customers when they stop the deal and then loose some buisness. That must indicat that they will either slash the prices after or come out with a newer model, right?

Collapse -
i think
by rsftl / September 10, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: you know...

i think the main reason is because the new nano's are coming out, they might make an update to the macbook but i dont think it will be too big, yes if you worry about something like that you'll keep waiting for a long time....something new always comes out and before they do the old ones always go for cheap

Collapse -
back to school
by Blink4life90 / September 11, 2007 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: i think

the back to school program is mainly for apple to eliminate the remaining inventory of nanos so they can sell the new ones. the ultraportable you may be talking about is rumored to be a macbook pro model. they aren't going to slim down the mac book seeing as though it is the entry level laptob for apple(which isn't very entry level and would be top of the line for some companies). but i honestly don't think they are going to do anything extavagant to the macbook except like i said the processor or the possibility of led but you won't be seeing that until maybe early next year.

Collapse -
ok....
by kanderman / September 11, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Ok so now I have another option to consider lol...do you think I should wait until the nano deal expires just in case they release a new one shorty after? Or should I buy it with the nano deal to get the free nano?

Collapse -
lol
by Blink4life90 / September 11, 2007 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ok....

if you need a new nano and don't want to be jealous of the new ones that play video and what not but to be honest with you i really dont' think that we will be seeing anything new from apple in the laptob department until next year so if you wanna wait for the mac expo in 2008 then there will possibly be new mac book updates but like i said until then i really don't think we will be seeing anything. trust me im using my mac book right now and i really couldt ask for much more, i love this thing!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!