HolidayBuyer's Guide

Dell forum

General discussion

I want to buy a lap top but know nothing about them

by originalsbyterry / March 1, 2011 1:39 AM PST

I want to buy a used lap top just to access email and my store on etsy and to google information. I need one with a keyboard larger that what seems to be standard. I saw someone with one which had a keyboard like a standard computer keyboard. What kind would that be? Would it do what I want it to do? I cannot pay a lot of money since I am on a fixed income.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to buy a lap top but know nothing about them
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to buy a lap top but know nothing about them
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since the used market is what it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 5:45 AM PST

I'd avoid the used laptops for very simple reasons. Most often the laptop is on it's last months to a year. Laptops do not age well so my advice is to keep your money.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Originalsbyterry,
by Osprey4 / March 5, 2011 9:15 PM PST

All laptops can accommodate a full sized keyboard. You just plug them into an available USB port.

I'm going to take a different tack than Bob and suggest that off-lease business laptops are a pretty good deal. Dell sells some of them on Ebay. I would look at Latitude models but be sure to get something with a dual core processor. That would be something like the Latitude D620 or D630 (~$200-250), or any of the E-series laptops. These will be 3-5 years old but still have plenty of years left on them for most small business needs. The only possible issue may be with the battery but a third-party battery for one of these systems is only about $40-50.

Collapse -
XPS 17
by inlets / March 8, 2011 6:55 AM PST

I just bought a Dell XPS 17. Can't pay much is relative to what you can afford. Too me $958. out the door was pretty cheap. See what I mean about relative. They also threw in next day shipping at no charge and 0% interest for 12 months The 17 inch laptops have pretty much a standard size keyboard, pretty much. The 15 inch laptops are really small. Also depends on what you are going to use the laptop for? If you want a gaming machine your price will be up there. If your looking for a generl purpose workhorse laptop Dell makes some of the best machines. I have seen them starting at $399. But that is a pretty much a basic machine. It will get you on the web, e-mail, web cam, word processing. My best suggestion would be go to Office Depot or Best Buy and check them out get the feel for one in the size you like. Good Luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.