Computer Help forum

General discussion

I want to Build My Own Computer

by BeyondHelp / November 22, 2005 10:20 AM PST

I have an old Dell Dimension 8200 that for the most part hasn't given me any trouble or let me down in any way. The fact is it has been completely trouble free (except now I told everyone so it will crap out on me).
Just recently however I have noticed that it seems to be running much slower, and I also wish to upgrade it and there aren't the necessary bays that I need to accomplish the upgrade. Because of my desire and my circumstance I am torn between two basic ideas of what to do, and on top of that I don't know if it could be done.
I am hoping that some of the members here might help me to decide the best route to accomplish my task. Here are the two scenarios.

One of the first issues I have with the present computer is its use of RDRAM or Rambus something or other. It is outrageously exspensive to upgrade. If anyone had a FREE set of 256MB Ram chips that would give me some immediate relief but I am still left stuck without the 5 1/2" bay for am upgrade for a module off my sound card. (I hope to connect a midi keyboard and mike for recording etc)

So My thought was to buy a case and a new motherboard and then Xfer over all the cpu, dvd, cdrom, floppy, modem, and add my new sound card. Hopefully I can get a motherboard that is capable that uses much cheaper RAM so I can hook up at least 1GB of RAM. Can this be done?

The other question is with all the newest stuff going dual core etc. Should I consider going that route. Is dual core necessary for audio editing etc. or is it all directed toward the gamers. The additional theory was to build big enough to allow for future expansion.

I have a long term goal of also advancing into digital photography and its associated editing. I thought of having it all under one roof so to speak might be too much and the better idea be 2 separate systems. But cost is a definite issue. Then there is the question of the necessity for greater data storage capability as graphic files tend to be large. To add to it I hear various plus and minuses about SATA RAID Hard drive arrangements and all that I dont even have a clue about. I just want to get into the music and then the photo stuff.

Anybody have any good ideas to share with the criminally lame??? I need your help!!!

Regards,
BeyondHelp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to Build My Own Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to Build My Own Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So many things to consider in detail
by Ray Harinec / November 23, 2005 1:31 AM PST

Why not first, go to http://www.tomshardware.com and/or http://www.anandtech.com get some idea of all the aspects that must be considered and see many details. Configuring a system has become extremely complex.

Sfter you get down to some choices, provide that info, you will get inputs from many people expert in the various aspects. Also, by the time you make the first decision, there will be newer and better choices?

Intel is close to revising their entire line because they can't handle the P4 configuration heating problems. Total redesign of CPU's using Pentium M concepts.

The socket 939 AMD's have excellent thermal properties. The 90 NM cores went down to 68 watts from the 88 watts in their 130 nm cores, while Intel's reduction from 130 to 90 nm didn't reduce the heat at all, even raised it a litle.

Collapse -
Thanks for the insight
by BeyondHelp / December 8, 2005 11:15 AM PST

Thank you for the heads up. I will check the links you posted. At least now I have a starting point. Thanks again

Collapse -
If you can pick up a copy
by Ray Harinec / December 8, 2005 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the insight

of the latest Maximum PC magazine. Jan 2006 issue .

Read the details in this issue, and I doubt if an Intel system will even be considered by you.

AMD has simply passed Intel in virtually every possible consideration.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.