Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I want to back up my entire PC

by the red baron / August 13, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

Can anyone help me with this one. After stupidly (unknowiingly) downloading the new Chode virus I have had to format my HDD.

I need to know is there any freeware available to allow mw to do this effectively.? I am a memeber of the latterday church of freeloaders, so it needs to be free....lol

Any help or advice on the best way to go about this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to back up my entire PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to back up my entire PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why don't you save your data
by glb613 / August 13, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

on CDs or DVDs? What have you done to try and clean your computer? Backing up your hard drive with a virus on it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Collapse -
You can use XP's Backup utility
by Adi / August 13, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

Well, it's free with XP Happy Go to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Backup. Then you can use the wizard to set up the backup, and you can use the "All information on this computer" option. This should backup everything. Alternatively, you can choose exactly what you want to backup.

DVDs are probably the best thing to backup onto, unless you have a tape drive. If you backup onto another hard disk, make sure you have another backup on a different medium in addition to that.

Hope this helps,
Adi

Collapse -
pc relocator
by enigmacode / August 13, 2005 9:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Backup utility
by wanness / August 14, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

In trying to utilize this method on many ocassions, I always come up with "F:\backup.bkf" This file name could not be used. I run XP Pro, and have always run into this problem. F being my burner. Any advice would be helpful.

Collapse -
NTBACKUP is only for historical reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup utility

It's a very old program that you only turn to for historical reasons. Almost anything else is better.

Bob

Collapse -
NTbackup
by wanness / August 14, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
Advice ?
by Papa Echo / August 13, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

?Do not backup your HD.
?Organize your data files and folders so that you can backup them (read make copies of) to removable media e.g. CDs, DVDs....without fuss.
?Make copies of your downloaded program setups to CDs.
?Keep your program discs, including the XP CD, and their keys and codes in a safe place, so that you do not have to find them when you need them for reinstallation.
? If you still want to backup your HD, there are ghosting utilities, like Norton Ghost or other disc imagers, but this may be useless if you have to change your MOBO. Also, note that few things are free.

(This is what I do, works for me and some, but may be not for you and others. )

BTW, what size is your HD ?

Collapse -
I want to back up my entire PC - I do!
by toasty / August 13, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

OK let me first say this only works on a FAT32 formatted drive and NOT with NTFS.
NTFS will not let you copy all the files.

You need another HDD or partition with another operating system installed on it. You can't copy ALL of an operating system that your using, this way. So that's two HDD's with an operating system installed on each of them. Say one with XP and the other with ME.
To backup your XP os, Boot to the HDD/partition with ME installed on it. You can now copy the entire contents of your XP HDD (minus Recycle Bin and Pagefile, windows will put these back, saving you a bit of space) to a folder on ME drive (or any other for that matter), and there you have it. A complete backup. When a virus hits or you simply kock-it up! boot to your ME drive, delete your XP drive. Then copy back the backup you've just made. Windows will put back the Recycle Bin and Pagefile when booting. It's like a time warp - back to before any problems. It's better then 'a restore point' because it does take you back in time, with NO hangovers from bad installs or viruses etc.
I backup twice a month if I have time but a least once a month. It's the only way I've found of perfectly restoring you operating system.

P.S. You can of course split it up and put it onto CD/DVD but the copy back is slower.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?