TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I want to add a second set of speakers to my receiver...

...But the speakers that I want to add have very short wires on them that won't reach the receiver for where I want to put them. My receiver has A & B sets of speakers, so there's not surround sound or anything like that. I just want a regular, stand-alone second set added on. The back of my receiver reads "8 - 16 impedance." The speakers currently attached are "impedance: 6 (15 watt)" & the speakers I want to add are also "impedance: 6." What I need to know is what gauge speaker wire I need (or if I even truly NEED speaker wire) & the maximum length I can run the wire. All I want to do is attach the extension wire to the existing wire (& wrap the joined ends with electrical tape to be safe). I've tried to read up on speaker wires, but all it did was confuse me more.

I THINK I need 24 gauge, 1/8 inch-think wires, which appears to match the existing wire.

I don't care how ugly it looks. I'm not looking to pay a lot, either, but if I need to pay a little more for something a little nicer (example: I'd go a $10 cable over a $5, but not $30 over a $10).

My receiver is a Sony STR-DE197. Both sets of speakers came from old bookshelves systems I no longer have. The set of speakers I want to add have never been used do to the shortness of the wires.

If anyone can atleast point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want to add a second set of speakers to my receiver...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want to add a second set of speakers to my receiver...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you are adding modest speakers, you needn't be fussy

In reply to: I want to add a second set of speakers to my receiver...

about the wire. Common electrical cord will work just fine. If you would feel better about using real speaker wire, it is available at Home Depot at modeerate price. Splice the short ends of the modest speaker wire or use wire nuts. Now, 24 gauge wire is quite skinny. The electrical lamp cord is probably 18 gauge. What is actually called speaker wire is usually 14 or 16 gauge.

The most common impedance is 8 ohms. Yes, the receiver stating 8-16 ohms is the most common value. The comment 15 watt is proabably power handling capacity which is likewise a low figure for speakers.

Just go ahead & enjoy.

Collapse -
Good to know...

Thank you for the prompt response. That helps alot!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.