TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I want RF cable to HDMI, without more monthly payments

by doug6644 / January 27, 2014 12:33 PM PST

I just bought a new Sony receiver (STR-DN840) for my home audio/surround system. It has been almost twenty years since my last upgrade, and figured with pass through technology I'd be able to just connect my RF6 cable right to the receiver, and then pass it on to my monitor (42LD550) with audio and video all intact. Well come to find out, I can't push audio to my "monitor" (from now on, "TV") because LG didn't allow for incoming audio through HDMI. I have no way to connect my RF6 cable, which provides my cable TV signal (no set top box) to my receiver, Blueray, or any other device I already own. Besides a RF6 to HDMI converter, what other set top boxes should I buy, to receive and pass on my cable signal (via RF6 cable) and pass it on to HDMI? So that I can connect it to my new receiver, and then pass the video on to the TV (monitor).I am trying to eliminate the cable clutter, and also, because I am going to need some sort of set top uunit, it may as well have DVR function, without more monthly fees. I already pay for cable and Netflix. Thanks, hope this can be deciphered.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want RF cable to HDMI, without more monthly payments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want RF cable to HDMI, without more monthly payments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ok, I am curious now.
by Oldartq / January 27, 2014 4:51 PM PST

Where was the RG6 cable connected before. By any chance there is a tuner somewhere? I am thinking maybe that might be the best bet here instead of trying to find that RG6 to hdmi converter. Actually some external tuner can do just that.

Collapse -
RF to HDMI connection.
by doug6644 / January 28, 2014 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Ok, I am curious now.

The cable signal was just connected directly to my LG TV, and that provides the audio through the TV. But I want to connect the cable signal to my new receiver so I can have the audio through it to get surround on over the air broadcasts. Otherwise I have no other way to connect audio from the TV to the receiver besides an optical cable, but those do not support 7.1, and it is just one more cable I'll have to pass through my wall. Heck all the money I'll spend on HDMI and other cables, I'm sure I can probably buy a DVR of some sort for my system.

Collapse -
What version of hmdi does the LG TV have?
by Oldartq / January 28, 2014 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: RF to HDMI connection.

If it's compatible with 1.4(ARC) then I think you should be ok. Of course with pass through you get to keep the cable nice and neat. Of course the thing I don't understand is why the mftr. don't design the optical connection that would give us surround sound (go figure). So you think the DVR would give you that surround? Let us know how it comes out.

Collapse -
He's slightly mistaken
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2014 8:58 AM PST

5.1 may indeed be passed back through via digital optical (again, depending on the source), but not 7.1.

Collapse -
No ARC on that LG unfortunately (n/t)
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2014 9:00 AM PST

n/t

Collapse -
Let's review a little here
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2014 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: RF to HDMI connection.

A little review of capabilities of the various devices/network offering is in order here.

For starters, there's no such thing yet as OTA 7.1 surround. 5.1 is the limit so far if you are receiving something via antenna or satellite. (and all OTA 5.1 content is freely available for pass through purposes) 7.1 is currently only via Blu Ray discs or digital downloads/rips/streams. Related to this, no HDTV that I know of can pass through a 7.1 signal via digital optical. I've yet to see one 'in the wild' that can do it via ARC, but again, this is coming from a Blu Ray device anyway, so this would be moot in the context of what you are asking technically here. In summary, all you really need is:

1) An HDTV that is capable of passing along some surround content (none can pass all along, btw)
2) An HDTV that has a digital optical out port to facilitate this

What you won't find is:

1) A receiver that can handle a direct input from you cable company's coax.

A better solution would be:

1) Budgeting for a basic cable box or DVR with appropriate outputs. Less headaches and greater overall flexibility down the road if the cable co changes their methods

FWIW, HDMI & digital optical cables aren't expensive. Look into Monoprice.com & Amazon basics for very good quality budget priced cables of all kinds. Ignore the overpriced monster stuff.

Collapse -
All posts respected, thanks for all the input.
by doug6644 / January 28, 2014 11:11 AM PST

I am looking for a DVR, to allow me to connect my RF6 cable TV signal (no set top) directly to a DVR without a monthly fee to own the DVR, unlike what TiVo has to offer, and higher priced packages from my cable provider. Then I will be able to carry over from RF6, to HDMI or composite to go on to my receiver, and then be able to connect a single, video only, to my LG monitor. No, you are correct, from what I have read, optical can only carry 5.1. Over the air 7.1 is not really a concern, I just want a little surround for my over the air broadcast channels that I/we almost always watch, unless it's a family movie night, which is when we turn on the BD or Netflix. Looking into DVR because of the recording function, and if I am going to buy several HDMI, plus optical cables, plus a cable company box along with all other boxes in my cabinet, plus the work to run them through the wall, then I really need to try to cut down on more clutter as much as possible. I'm trying to clean things up, limit my cabinet space, run one HDMI instead of RF6 HDMI optical (you get the point), and reduce the cash flow from my wallet with all the "providers" wanting a monthly fee.

Collapse -
And yes PEPE7
by doug6644 / January 28, 2014 11:38 AM PST

You hit on everything I am saying. I just want a "cheap", less than $300 DVR, instead of more cables, more monthly fees, more basically useless boxes. Just want to go from RF6 to HDMI, and be able to record. An upgraded cable box will cost me another 50$ per month, arggg, it's just a huge scam.

Collapse -
Upgraded(?) So there IS a cable box now?
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2014 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: And yes PEPE7

If so, please provide make/model number. Perhaps you can at least send out proper audio already with the current hardware.(?)

Unfortunately, there's no convenient 'magic box' that will replace the behemoth cable company issued rental DVR. Your only 'discounted' <ahem> solution for recording cable television programming is a relatively tech-complex one using a PC, software and cable card/tuner. I only recommend this solution if you are tech-savvy- although you will frequently read online (from enthusiasts, of course) that these solutions are 'easy'. Not so much, in reality. {thinking of my last one (ROTFL) where the wife called me that night and said she'd KILL me if I didn't remove this stuff from their home and get Comcast out there by 10am the next morning...}

Collapse -
Take a look at some of the Magnavox here...
by Oldartq / January 28, 2014 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: And yes PEPE7

at Walmart;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-160GB-DVD-Recorder-Tuner/10104532

It has everything you might want with the exception of hdmi, however, in place of hdmi it has dvi and coxial audio out. Your Sony have coxial audio input? I am pretty sure a little more research will get all the features you need. The thing I worry about is that...this DVR may not get you ALL the channels that your provider's DVR can give. I remember when I subscribe to Time Warner cable, they insist that I have to rent their box if I want any hi-def. channels.

Collapse -
This one is at Sam's Club.
by Oldartq / January 28, 2014 3:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Sweet, I thought I had been in every corner of Amazon.
by doug6644 / January 29, 2014 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: 2 more here at Amazon;

That, from the sounds of it, will do everything I want to do, and a little more. I looked all over Amazon, but never came across this one. My RF cable/signal will go right into it, and I can hook my TV up to it via HDMI. My cable signal is not scrambled, so I am assuming,( because I have no set top box right now) that this will take the same signal and allow it to go straight on to my TV like it does now. If anyone has any experience with this unit, feel free to speak up, I would like to know a little about its functionality.

Collapse -
Triple check your provider's channel lineup
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2014 11:09 AM PST
Collapse -
There is no device
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2014 2:07 AM PST

The big cable providers protect a great deal of their content now, and it lets them better control their revenue stream this way. In this regard, the old school DVD/HDD devices aren't as useful for everything but a few channels. In some providers/areas even the lower channels are all now protected and require a box when previously they were left in the clear.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?