Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

I want a new computer. Suggestions?

by jesskalinowsky / March 28, 2006 9:51 AM PST

I have a clone E/Machine about on it's last leg. Had a Gateway a few years, did not like their service. Desktop probably fits my need best. Pretty basic business needs. Work on Dell all day, and fairly happy with it, but need something in home office. Should I just stay with Dell? or is HP? or Toshiba? or Sony? better. very NOVICE at computers.
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid is my motto! LOL!
Anyone have suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I want a new computer. Suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I want a new computer. Suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: new computer
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2006 9:21 PM PST

You can go 2 ways:
1. Big is beautiful. Nothing wrong with Dell or HP/Compaq or Lenovo (ex-IBM). I associate Toshiba with laptops, not desktops. Sony is (was?) excellent in consumer electronics (including Playstation), but I wouldn't recommend the Sony VAIO line of PC's; they are a little bit too much Sony and not generic enough.
2. Local business assembling a computer to your needs. If they have a good tech and good service, there's nothing wrong with that also. You might be able to get good advice on what you need here, although it's possible that you'll find a salesperson trying to sell you more than you need because of his bonus earnings just as well.

Be sure you buy what you need. More costs money for nothing, less will hamper the use.
Factors to consider: CPU (no need for the fastest), video (no need for high end graphics for gamers), RAM (512 Mb DDR would be excellent), hard disk size (depends on your downloading habits), monitor (if you need a new one, 17" LCD is nice), DVD-burner or external hard disk for backup is rather necessary nowadays, 200 W Dolby 5.1 sound isn't 'pretty basic business need', although you might like it. I consider a wireless keyboard and mouse as luxury. A PSU with enough wattage is a good investment.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Cluchetti / March 31, 2006 6:07 AM PST

Well, if you want, you could build a pc or have a local place like circuitcity or somewhere else build it for you. It will cost less than the big name brands like dell and hp, and plus, you can pick out a case you like unlike the standard, ugly, black and gray ones dell uses.

Building a pc isn't as hard or complex as it may seem. I just built my first pc and it was very easy.
Just follow the manual that comes with the computer parts and it will go just fine.

If you won't build a pc, I would suggest HP or IBM.

You could take a look at this model by HP:

I would go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor.
Great for multitasking and office work. This will be a great improvement from you current pc. Wink

It would be nice if we knew what your budget is.

Good luck,

Collapse -
re: New Computer
by pcrx_greg / April 4, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

Since the new computer you want is for a home office, I would suggest you get a PC designed for business and not for games or just surfing the web. I say this, because I have noticed in working on computers for the past 8 years, the business models of the big companies (Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM, etc.) are much better built than the consumer models from the big electonics or department stores. Go to the different company web sites and look for their business machines. Get one with at least 512MB Memory because Windows XP runs best with 512MB as a minimum. Also look at the models that come with a three year warranty, these companies don't want to fool with repairing an older machine, so they use better components when designing and building their business models.

Collapse -
My recommenations for specific units (with links)
by wfairley / May 6, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

I have had good experiences with Compusa. In Alabama, the advertised specials include this HP Pavilion (dv1688us) notebook, which should provide years of delightful use:

On, a quick browse turns up this HP Pavilion m7490n desktop Media Center PC, a fully loaded model with built-in TIVO, remote control, etc. which will also provide years of pleasurable computing:

They also have a less expensive media center desktop, the HP Pavilion a1253w that comes with a monitor:

Dell offers several selections to choose from; a quick browse and I find the Dell Inspiron E1505 Dual Core for about $1,000 with everything I want:

As a frequent traveler, I prefer the smaller notebooks; 13'' or 14'' brightview screen, DVD recording, and a remote control. I can use it on the plane as well as in the hotel or at work. Most of the major brands have offerings; I recommend going with a friend to the local computer retailers (Compusa, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot here in Birmingham Alabama) and get a feel for which ones make you feel good when you look at it and type on it, then research the options and prices on the Internet. I recommend the following options:

* processor with ''64'', ''X2'', or ''Dual'' in the name,
* 13'' - 14'' screen, bigger if you don't use it flying
* wireless networking capable
* DVD recording (DVD-R/RW)
* Windows Media Center
* Windows ''Vista'' capable (next generation of Windows''
* remote control

Wow, this is long, but I want to help everyone who might read this forum.

-Woody Fairley

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?