Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

I want a new computer. Suggestions?

by jesskalinowsky / March 28, 2006 9:51 AM PST

I have a clone E/Machine about on it's last leg. Had a Gateway a few years, did not like their service. Desktop probably fits my need best. Pretty basic business needs. Work on Dell all day, and fairly happy with it, but need something in home office. Should I just stay with Dell? or is HP? or Toshiba? or Sony? better. very NOVICE at computers.
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid is my motto! LOL!
Anyone have suggestions?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: new computer
by Kees Bakker / March 30, 2006 9:21 PM PST

You can go 2 ways:
1. Big is beautiful. Nothing wrong with Dell or HP/Compaq or Lenovo (ex-IBM). I associate Toshiba with laptops, not desktops. Sony is (was?) excellent in consumer electronics (including Playstation), but I wouldn't recommend the Sony VAIO line of PC's; they are a little bit too much Sony and not generic enough.
2. Local business assembling a computer to your needs. If they have a good tech and good service, there's nothing wrong with that also. You might be able to get good advice on what you need here, although it's possible that you'll find a salesperson trying to sell you more than you need because of his bonus earnings just as well.

Be sure you buy what you need. More costs money for nothing, less will hamper the use.
Factors to consider: CPU (no need for the fastest), video (no need for high end graphics for gamers), RAM (512 Mb DDR would be excellent), hard disk size (depends on your downloading habits), monitor (if you need a new one, 17" LCD is nice), DVD-burner or external hard disk for backup is rather necessary nowadays, 200 W Dolby 5.1 sound isn't 'pretty basic business need', although you might like it. I consider a wireless keyboard and mouse as luxury. A PSU with enough wattage is a good investment.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
re:
by Cluchetti / March 31, 2006 6:07 AM PST

Well, if you want, you could build a pc or have a local place like circuitcity or somewhere else build it for you. It will cost less than the big name brands like dell and hp, and plus, you can pick out a case you like unlike the standard, ugly, black and gray ones dell uses.

Building a pc isn't as hard or complex as it may seem. I just built my first pc and it was very easy.
Just follow the manual that comes with the computer parts and it will go just fine.

If you won't build a pc, I would suggest HP or IBM.

You could take a look at this model by HP:

d4100e

I would go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor.
Great for multitasking and office work. This will be a great improvement from you current pc. Wink

It would be nice if we knew what your budget is.

Good luck,

CLuchetti

Collapse -
re: New Computer
by pcrx_greg / April 4, 2006 1:35 PM PDT

Since the new computer you want is for a home office, I would suggest you get a PC designed for business and not for games or just surfing the web. I say this, because I have noticed in working on computers for the past 8 years, the business models of the big companies (Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM, etc.) are much better built than the consumer models from the big electonics or department stores. Go to the different company web sites and look for their business machines. Get one with at least 512MB Memory because Windows XP runs best with 512MB as a minimum. Also look at the models that come with a three year warranty, these companies don't want to fool with repairing an older machine, so they use better components when designing and building their business models.

Collapse -
My recommenations for specific units (with links)
by wfairley / May 6, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

I have had good experiences with Compusa. In Alabama, the advertised specials include this HP Pavilion (dv1688us) notebook, which should provide years of delightful use:

http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=337627&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

On Walmart.com, a quick browse turns up this HP Pavilion m7490n desktop Media Center PC, a fully loaded model with built-in TIVO, remote control, etc. which will also provide years of pleasurable computing:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4922358

They also have a less expensive media center desktop, the HP Pavilion a1253w that comes with a monitor:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4861605

Dell offers several selections to choose from; a quick browse and I find the Dell Inspiron E1505 Dual Core for about $1,000 with everything I want:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=E1505SP1&s=dhs

As a frequent traveler, I prefer the smaller notebooks; 13'' or 14'' brightview screen, DVD recording, and a remote control. I can use it on the plane as well as in the hotel or at work. Most of the major brands have offerings; I recommend going with a friend to the local computer retailers (Compusa, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot here in Birmingham Alabama) and get a feel for which ones make you feel good when you look at it and type on it, then research the options and prices on the Internet. I recommend the following options:

* processor with ''64'', ''X2'', or ''Dual'' in the name,
* 13'' - 14'' screen, bigger if you don't use it flying
* wireless networking capable
* DVD recording (DVD-R/RW)
* Windows Media Center
* Windows ''Vista'' capable (next generation of Windows''
* remote control

Wow, this is long, but I want to help everyone who might read this forum.

-Woody Fairley

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!