General discussion

I've torn 3 walls down so far, no luck

Antique coins uncovered in Saint John home

A Saint John man doesn't mind his home being described as a money pit after he discovered about $20,000 worth of gold coins dating back to the 1800s during renovations.

Darcy Carter was putting down hardwood flooring on the second storey of his west side home when he pulled up the top step and found the treasure.

I think I heard "double eagle" mentioned in one news story.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I've torn 3 walls down so far, no luck
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I've torn 3 walls down so far, no luck
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) the stairs, the stairs, the stairs.....
- Collapse -
(NT) I have no stairs
- Collapse -
OK I'm going after the ceiling now
Man finds treasure above ceiling boards

WINNIPEG - Fred Murray was hoping for a renovation rebate on the old house he bought, he just didn't think it would come in the form of old coins, shinplasters and other currency from over 100 years ago.

Murray, who runs his own stucco business, bought an Elmwood bungalow last spring and was spurred to renovate by the federal government's Home Renovation Tax Credit.

It was when he ripped out ceiling panels in the 750-square-foot home's basement that he realized he'd be supplementing that funding with some older money.

In addition to Canadian currency -- ranging from regular and commemorative coins to paper money, including the 25-cent bills commonly known as shinplasters to $100-bills -- the collection also included foreign cash from Weimar Germany, 1920s China and the United States, stamps from numerous countries and clippings from Winnipeg newspapers.
- Collapse -
(NT) It will be under the floorboards.
- Collapse -
I'll keep looking

Soon I'll be homeless.

- Collapse -
I regularly find money

in either the washing machine or dryer. Don't forget to check there.

- Collapse -
$20,0000 doesn't buy

...... as much as it used to. Happy

There is a series on HGTV (do you get that one?) called, "If Walls Could Talk", about what folks have discovered in renovations of old houses..

Most finds have been mostly nostalgic, interesting, of historical value. But a scant few finds have been quite valuable.

Angeline

CNET Forums