Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

I've ripped my DVD collection, now what?

by Neo911 / October 9, 2007 4:05 PM PDT

So I've backed up my DVD collection (to several HD's), and need some advice on what to do with all those VOB files. Currently running winXp system but will be adding a Mac in November.

Having settled on the Netgear EVA8000 over appleTV due to my lack of a widescreen tv (my old box doesn't have component inputs either), to stream all those movies (about 300), what I need to know is the best file format to use. Am interested more in quality than size although I'm not leaving them in the current VOB state as that just takes up silly amounts of space (aprox 4.35GB/movie). I also want to be able to play them on my pc or Mac easily. MPEG-4, WMV, MOV, H.264, DivX??? My head is spinning from all the reading I've been doing.

I guess I want the highest quality video in the smallest size possible, emphesis on quality! Right now I'm kinda leaning towards H.264 in case I change my mind about the appleTV thing later on, but that just takes a crazy long time to convert a movie (about 7-10 hrs on my current 1.8ghz Athlon). AppleTV only accepts H.264 while the Netgear will take just about any format out there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I've ripped my DVD collection, now what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I've ripped my DVD collection, now what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think PC will be able to play all that you've mentioned,
by ahtoi / October 9, 2007 5:06 PM PDT

but I have no idea what mac can play. Since I don't have a mac, my choice is divx.

Collapse -
found your solution?
by czani01 / October 11, 2007 10:02 AM PDT

Hi there, I have the exact same question and haven't found any information, did you come to a conclusion that you'd want to share? Thanks.

Collapse -
No luck yet!
by Neo911 / October 11, 2007 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: found your solution?

Still looking...for now I have my desktop encoding 24/7 into h.264 until I find out otherwise...

Collapse -
Here's some more info...
by Neo911 / October 13, 2007 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: found your solution?

Hey chani,

I've posted the same question on a different forum, geared towards "videohelp", the reply that I got there was to basically keep going with h264 encoding. It seems that it's going to be slow but it's the one to use.

If you have a Mac and are concerned about speed another thing to look at is the h264 video encoder hardware usb stick, I don't have one yet, but if the encoding speeds with a 2.4/2.8ghz Mac are still not what I want then I'll be looking at getting one.

Let me know if that helps or if you've found anything different answers.

Collapse -
2.4ghz iMac
by Neo911 / November 6, 2007 10:46 AM PST

So I got me a new 24" 2.4ghz iMac and what a speed difference...WOW! What once took 6-8 hrs now takes no more than 2 with Handbrake. I can queue up all the movies I want and let it go for a day or 2 and its all done, no problems.

I've also been reading that the usb encoder really makes no difference on the 2.8ghz cpu and little difference on the 2.4. I'm planning on spending the extra $100 on some RAM instead, I figure what little speed increase I could get from the encoder is money better spent on RAM.

Had the iMac for about 2 weeks now...going out to get a Macbook next week to replace the current Acer lappy...its that awesome.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.