Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I Updated My BIOS & Lost My USB's

by Daviddude / July 21, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

Hi people,
I have an Insignia D400A running Windows XP Home SP2
Board: Intel Corporation D845GVSR AAC45439-302
BIOS: Intel Corp. VA84510A.86A.0056.P20.0605040337 05/04/2006

I have been having numerous problems with this thing lately...had the RAM replaced, installed a ATI Raedon 256 MB PCI video card. When the computer would go either to screen saver or if I disabled that and just had the monitor auto shut off after 5 minutes...sometimes the display wouldn't come back on. This got me thinking that my onboard video went bad.
Then the USB external WD 250GIG started giving me error messages when I would plug in my iPod. I would get these strange "Delayed Write Failed" for some file named (I think) WF$T or something like that. I checked the settings for that drive, and Delayed Write wasn't enabled. So when ever I wanted to change something on my iPod, I would click the disconnect icon in the system tray and stop the external drive, then plug in my iPod and all was ok.
Several people were suggesting that I update the BIOS for this thing. Well, I did that today and LOST my USB ports. They aren't in my hardware profile, I tried to add new hardware & it doesn't find them. I even tried installing the USB 2.0 drivers again. Nothing worked. So, I went into the BIOS setup and USB Legacy is enabled (don't know how to disable that), but when I go to the USB part of the BIOS setup, there is nothing there.
I tried an earlier version of the BIOS update and still no USB. Now for both versions of the BIOS update program, I used the windows file, and both of them worked no problems...the computer re-boots, windows comes up and the little "BIOS Update Was Successful" message came up both times.

Any ideas how to fix this? I already tried the Intel help site, and there is no email support for this particular mother board (translation, I have to call them and pay) I don't know.
So, does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
I was thinking that my mother board is just slowly dieing out on me, and now with this problem I think that I am convinced the mother board needs to be replaced.
Everything else seems to be working ok...I can get online after the BIOS updates and my sound card still works (I have heard of problems with those things and BIOS updates)

Thanks for your replies and help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Updated My BIOS & Lost My USB's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Updated My BIOS & Lost My USB's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this was mine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 11:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by Daviddude / July 21, 2007 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: If this was mine...

I just bought it...
Happy

Collapse -
Hey Bob...
by Daviddude / July 24, 2007 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: If this was mine...

Ordered Sunday morning, arrived Tuesday morning.
The one inside usb doesn't register anything plugged into it though, but still a good bargain - I have 3 external USB's.
Thanks for the link!!!
D
Happy

Collapse -
At least you have USB now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2007 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey Bob...

I can't explain the inside connection issue.

At the very least you have USB 2.0 back for cheap. Fixing motherboards (replacing) can be expensive) so I like this sort of fix.

Bob

Collapse -
Instead of re installing USB drivers
by Steven Haninger / July 21, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

try to remove all USB references in device manager. Reboot and let Windows re-detect them. If they are truly announced through the BIOS, Windows should respond in some way and attempt to find and configure proper drivers. If they are not available in the BIOS, Windows will do nothing. I've had USB 2 capable motherboards show as 1.1 with XP until I performed this operation. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks anyway
by Daviddude / July 21, 2007 11:33 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply, but there are no references for USB in Device Manager.

From previous reply, I just ordered a USB PCI card for my computer.

Collapse -
Maybe a dumb thought
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2007 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks anyway

but does device manager show any unconfigured devices? i.e. yellow question marks? If so, some other motherboard resource might be the issue. It could still be something missed or changed in the BIOS that needs to be configured first before the USB ports become available. I'd try BIOS defaults and/or just loading the motherboard's driver CD's chipset utility as well. Of course the add in card will serve it's purpose as long as you don't have ports on the front of the case that have gone missing as well.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply...
by Daviddude / July 22, 2007 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe a dumb thought

but there are no unknown devices in the device manager. I even tried the "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS to try and get the USB back. Nothing seems to work.

Collapse -
Fixed
by psharkauburn / March 12, 2008 5:56 PM PDT

Had the same issue - Insignia D400a desktop. Figured i'd give the wife's machine an overhaul. Upgraded the BIOS from P16 to P20 and *poof* - USB is gone. Backed down to the P19 BIOS, no dice. Went all the way back to the P16 BIOS and things are back to normal - USB is back. Unfortunately, the P16 BIOS causes the machine is hiccup with certain USB devices plugged in on boot, but at least is turns the USB ports on! Crappy board, crappy BIOS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.