TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I turned 62 today!!! Yes I'm an old fart!

by jcrobso / March 5, 2007 2:03 AM PST

Looking back at all the changes that I have seen.
From 78 rpm records, to LPs and CDs to MP3s.
From B&W TV thru HDTV, I saw men walk on the moon for the first time.
From 16mm film the VHS, Laser disk and DVDs.
Yes I have sen a lot!
But I think about my Grand Father born in 1879 and died at the age of 97. He was born in the horse and buggy era and also got to see man walk on the moon!!! I don't think that most of us will see that many changes. John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I turned 62 today!!! Yes I'm an old fart!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I turned 62 today!!! Yes I'm an old fart!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Happy Birthday John!
by europa105 / March 5, 2007 2:25 AM PST

I am the same age as you and know the joy of seeing my first television set; it was the size of a small refrigerator with a 10" screen. I was just stunned by the moving pictures of "Cowboy Theater,"
right there in my living room. I imagine *your* first TV set was very similar.
BTW, my family had a remote control for that set; me.
Hppy Birthday and enjoy the day.

Collapse -
YES WE ARE THE OLDIES BUT GOODIES STEWEEE
by stewart norrie / March 5, 2007 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Happy Birthday John!

Yes we have seen so many changes in life, Thats why I think this home theater thing is so awsome 15 years ago a million dollor home theater system would not compaire with what you can buiy today for $2000. And the funny part is in the old days you would have to repair your radios t.v. sets etc. every 6 months and there were t.v. repair shops on every corner Now days these youngins ***** and complain if they have to change a lamp in there t.v. every 3 years the want there cars to run 10 years without lifting the hood. ha ha live long and prosper steweee

Collapse -
Stewee..."Live Long and Prosper"?
by Dan Filice / March 5, 2007 9:23 AM PST

Stewee...were you by chance watching The History Channel this past weekend when they aired the special about Star Trek? Just curious.

Dan

Collapse -
You forgot..
by HTHMAN / March 5, 2007 9:40 AM PST

What was it I was going to say? I am near your age too. Oh yea, how about pulling and replacing tubes on those early TV sets? All the young guys reading this are saying "what's a tube?" It totally blows my mind to think what the next 60 years will bring. We grew up on Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, Tonto and the Lone Ranger, secret decoder rings, Ozzie and Harriett in twin beds. Now we can see anything we are willing to pay our service privider for.

Happy birthday and many more.

Collapse -
(NT) Happy Birthday
by masterying01 / March 5, 2007 1:10 PM PST
Collapse -
A LITTLE STORY FOR MY OLD FART FRIENDS
by stewart norrie / March 6, 2007 2:51 AM PST

1946 and in grade school ha ha,I ran the 16mn.m. sound projectors at school actually that was my start of a lifetime in electronics work.Anyway the school gave my dad moner to go buy movies cartoons, etc, for a bazare the school was having, to raise money. My dad took me to this house , we wer taken to the basement where this guy built a movie theater , there was a projection booth with 2 16m.m. projectors a wire remote so he could change projectors and a huge movie screen and on both walls there werwe hundreds of movies so we stayed and watched a movie that experience planted a seed and ever since I have wanted a home theater , but It took all those years until the digital age for my dream to come true so cool its great to be old we have seen so much LIVE LONG AND PROSPER STEWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Collapse -
HEY STEWIE, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY (49)..............
by Riverledge / March 6, 2007 8:25 AM PST

NEXT YEAR I CAN JOIN AARP!!!

I'm so excited....I can hardly wait, except I have a total hip replacement coming MAY 9th.....add twenty years to my age. This crap isn't supposed happen 'til my seventies; right?

Think, all those years as an U.S.P.S. letter carrier has anything to do with it? Any good lawyers out there?

anyway,
river.

Collapse -
Im sure you already know, thats the life of a USPS employee
by misterguy / March 6, 2007 11:03 AM PST

I know a lot of postal employees and all of them have developed an injury of some sort. Including my girlfriend. Great money for uneducated people. Tough life.

Collapse -
Postal work pertinent? Sure.
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 11:34 AM PST

A slightly different take on career post office employee friends. Not necessarily a tough life. Oh, today's supervisors short staffing can sure hinder. Personal attitude & lots of fresh air with exercise has been a good life for some folks I know.

Hip replacements have helped many people greatly. I've had 2 knee jobs with poor results. Sort of the breaks. My last surgeon was not just board certified but one of the committee of six national certifiers.

But my philosophy still is go for the best, they don't wind up costing any more than the rest.

Bad genes? Try suing your parents & grandparents.

Collapse -
I WENT TO HOLY CROSS COLLEGE IN WORCESTER MA.,.............
by Riverledge / March 6, 2007 1:18 PM PST

NOT UNEDUCATED, THANX ANYWAY.
MONEY WAS GREAT.
WORK ATMOSPHERE TOTALLY SUCKED!

THE OPERATION IS AT MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL,

Pretty good rep., thank God I still have my insurance through the USPS/FEDS.

River.

Collapse -
They don't get much better than Mass Gen
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 1:29 PM PST

Hope it doesn't offend to say you'll be going in with some extra prayers for you.

Collapse -
BILL , THANKS. I'LL NEED ALL THE PRAYERS I CAN GET
by Riverledge / March 7, 2007 5:07 AM PST

river.

Collapse -
Some guys say it made them feel more youthful by twenty
by NM_Bill / March 7, 2007 5:24 AM PST

years & why hadn't they had it done earlier. Almost a magic bullet to enjoy life in general. Happiness as a worthy & sometimes attainable goal. What's not to like?

Collapse -
I hope nobody took my comment the wrong way
by misterguy / March 7, 2007 12:24 PM PST

Sorry, I should have put more thought into my last comment. I wasnt trying to affend anyone. I have not visited cnet in a while and I forgot about forums like this. There is always someone who wants to nitpick your comments and take them the wrong way, and I do not want that to happen here. I was refering a lot of the people that I know, including a 19 year old just out of high school who made $60,000 carrying mail as a PTF. The post office provides a great opportunity for some people, and that is all that I meant to say. Good luck with your surgery River. I hope you feel better than ever.

Collapse -
MISTERGUY, TRUTHFULLY I DIDN'T REALLY TAKE IT IN...........
by Riverledge / March 7, 2007 12:57 PM PST

A NICE WAY. I thought it was insulting and judgemental on a personal level. However, that was yesterday. My mom always said never go to bed with a grudge. Forgiveness builds character.

Curiousity question....where did you go to college? just wondering.

river.

Collapse -
Glad I could clear things up and....
by misterguy / March 8, 2007 10:57 AM PST

I can not speak of a college degree. Sorry to disappoint you Happy Good luck with your surgery though. And good thing you did not hold a grudge because it really would have been a double mistake to ASSUME someone is insulting you without giving them the benefit of the doubt. Good man.

Collapse -
Happy Bithday, sorry to hear about the hip replacement.
by jcrobso / March 7, 2007 6:13 AM PST

ARP is so nice they send you the application just before you turn Fifty.
Turning 50 was the hardest, something about 1/2 of a 100 me thinks. John

Collapse -
I'D LIKE THANK ALL YOU WELL-WISHERS HERE ON C-NET...........
by Riverledge / March 9, 2007 2:11 AM PST

IT'S VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Sincerely,
river.

Collapse -
Turning 62
by kcfvegas / March 8, 2007 11:31 AM PST

Happy Birthday John! One thing you left out was the wonderful 8 track!

Collapse -
(NT) Yes I did, but I didn't own one of those.
by jcrobso / March 9, 2007 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Turning 62
Collapse -
Id like to wish you the best as well
by jostenmeat / March 9, 2007 2:29 AM PST

When is the date, river? How long do you expect to be in the hospital for? If you feel uncomfortable saying, sorry. We'll be thinking of you. jostenmeat

side note to Bill. My .02 is that it's not the "smartest" that you want doing your surgery, its the guy that does it on a regular basis. Well, that's what I've learned from my family of doctors: grandad, dad, my only sibling, cousins. (Crazy I know, Im the ******* musician. Was tremendously excited when I saw that there were a couple of writers way up the family tree...)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.