Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

i-tunes

by acmech / July 3, 2007 12:51 AM PDT

I am relatively new to the digital music thing. I purchased an i-pod and have put much of my cd music into my i-tunes library. I have also purchased some music from i-tunes. What I am finding odd is that my i-tunes library says I have I have 802 songs at the bottom of the page, yet when i went through and counted them, I had 836. My i-pod also says I have 802, yet there are some songs listed in my i-tunes library that are not on my i-pod. Please help the ignorant.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i-tunes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i-tunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
corrupt
by SXR / July 4, 2007 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: i-tunes

Those might be corrupt and iTunes might not count them.

You realy counted all your music ? O_O

Collapse -
i-tunes
by acmech / July 5, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: corrupt

Thanks SXR, but I think I figured it out. My 15 y.o. son explained to me, in a manner I could understand, some of my songs in my i-tunes library may have only had the song title and artist listed in the song information. Low and behold after checking, there was 34 songs that did not have any information listed except title and artist. After a little research and alot of typing in i-tunes, I added album name to song info, and now, the world appears level again. I have 836 tunes in my library and on my i-pod. My son called it tagging and said that i-tunes is particularly fond of it.

Collapse -
Cool
by SXR / July 5, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

Great news that you found it out, mate.

Collapse -
I'm very new at this iTunes thing too!
by ltnsmrt / July 10, 2007 9:24 AM PDT

I'm new to it, but maybe you can help me with my problem. I was trying to put some music in my iPd shuffle, but when I tried to do it, iTunes said that I was using other library, and I cannot use two libraries at the same time :o/ I cannot even see the music I already have in my iPod... I am really mess up with all these... sorry for being so illiterate when it comes to all new technology. I am 47 going into 18, and trust me, I have come a long way when it comes to learn about all this new generation of tech.
Any help will be appreciated.
Have a wonderful day... God Bless,
Haydee

Collapse -
Are you using more than 1 computer?
by ktreb / July 10, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

Or a different windows user login? All iPods can only autosync with one library at a time. If you had any other iPod, setting it to manually sync would bypass this. Unfortunately for the Shuffle, even if you manually sync you cannot get content from a different computer or be able to see what's on it from a different computer. Other iPod models (Mini, Nano, Video) can do this.

Collapse -
iTunes library problems
by ltnsmrt / July 11, 2007 4:07 AM PDT

Hi ktreb,
Thanks fo much for replying to my email.
The iPod was purchased in NY, so our niece transferred some music from her laptop... could that be the problem? I do not have a problem deleting the music I already have in the iPod, if that would help me solve the problem.... Do I need to use iTunes to transfer my music files into my iPod?... or can I do it directly from my pc? I would like to do whichever is easier for me to do Wink I really don't want this to be another project for me Sad
Have a wonderful day & thanks again for helping me.
God Bless,
Haydee

Collapse -
That appears to be the problem
by ktreb / July 11, 2007 1:00 PM PDT

Unfortunately, you'll need to sync it with iTunes on your computer. If you already have iTunes it's not that hard. I'm doing my 2nd gen shuffle as I'm writing this...I just got a new laptop. Even if you don't have it, it's fairly easy to install and if you have music on your computer already you just need to have it "find" your library. Once that is all set you can connect your Shuffle. Syncing it to your library will erase what your niece put on it. If you don't want to do an autofill, it's probably best to do a restore first. Then you'll go through the process of naming your iPod and if you want to drag songs manually, take the check mark off "automatically choose songs for my iPod". I have 5000+ songs, but I have a bunch of playlists that I use - I'll drag and drop the playlists onto it.

If you choose to do an autofill, I would suggest that you autofill from a playlist and/or choose to have iTunes randomly load songs. Otherwise, it will load your music library in alphabetical order until it's filled.

I'm going to give you a couple of links to some of Apple's support pages that will help you along.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304708#3
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorials/shuffle.html

In the time it took me to write this, I restored my Shuffle, and I manually put 131 songs on it by drag/drop my 3 favorite playlists. It's not completely filled, but I can save that for another time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?