Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I trust that Mr Woods-Hick is not leaving us. Despite all

by Ziks511 / May 12, 2006 6:49 PM PDT

the unpleasantness thrown his way. It will subside eventually, though not permanently. Patience, a vacation occasionally, and knowing who your opponents are helps to keep the frustration in check.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I trust that Mr Woods-Hick is not leaving us. Despite all
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I trust that Mr Woods-Hick is not leaving us. Despite all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps this is just another example of the

underlining importance of "first impressions". I know that this is probably a poor analogy but would say that dents that turn up later in one's automobile tend to have less impact on a person's love for it. One that comes with noticable scars is often considered as expendable. Even if repairs take place, the memory of the defects does not go away.

Collapse -
Your superior inferiority complex is showing again.
by Evie / May 12, 2006 9:41 PM PDT

I'll spring for some bleu cheese to go with that whine. Might smell marginally better! Devil

Collapse -
Not intending to either whine or express any superiority,
by Ziks511 / May 12, 2006 9:56 PM PDT

which I don't feel, threatened and aused though I do sometimes feel. It's just that SE can be hard on those not of like mind to the majority.

I handle my side of historical disagreements badly, I wish I were better at it, but when I see things that I have reason to think are wrong I try to explain why. It doesn't usually go very well. I'm trying to be less of a pain in the ***, but its a long slow process, and may never get to the point where most of you would like, because I really can never become a conservative, its just not in me, I'm too concerned about what's happening to the little guy.

Rob

Rob

Collapse -
Mostly this is just more arrogant continuation ...
by Evie / May 12, 2006 10:14 PM PDT

... of locked threads by the disenchanted. You need a new tune.

Collapse -
What about the little guy?
by EdH / May 12, 2006 10:22 PM PDT

Begorrah!

What some conveniently overlook is that the guy came in loaded for bear and looking for a fight, broadcast unpleasantness earlier and more often more than anyone else and even when people tried to reason with him, he blasted away at them.

In addition all he brought to the table was old propaganda, much of oit long since ediscredited. But God forbid anyone contradict or defend against such atacks. We're just supposed to assume the position.

Collapse -
This is my biggest complaint
by Evie / May 12, 2006 10:25 PM PDT

The same rehashing of the same stories over, and over, and over. I know I shouldn't bite, but when I see something grossly inaccurate I feel duty bound to respond and discredit it -- otherwise it becomes "fact". But then we aren't as open minded as them now huh?!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
sunshine is a great disinfectant
by WOODS-HICK / May 12, 2006 10:24 PM PDT

keep marching to your heartbeat, google the issue to fill in the blanks, preview>edit>spellcheck>submit. Practice and patience will get your views respected.
Don't retreat unless discretion is the better part of valor. We all started somewhere; bon chance!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Too bad grandpa didn't pass on any social graces
by Evie / May 12, 2006 10:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Trite as it may sound, it's not always what

but how something is stated. Other components not to be overlooked are the framing and other danglings from the statement. Anyone who remembers Gore Vidal vs W. F. Buckley has heard from the masters of civil debate, IMO. That type of conversation won't be often heard in SE.

Collapse -
and I bet they had lunch together later
by WOODS-HICK / May 12, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

skilled debaters learn from one another, one must know their enemies.

Collapse -
you on the other hand, walked in screaming
by jonah jones / May 12, 2006 11:23 PM PDT
BITE ME!

now you complain that people don't like you....(not in those exact words, but you get the drift)....

Collapse -
They probably did.
by Angeline Booher / May 13, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

Both brilliant men with admirable comunication skills and the ability to clearly express themselves.

What also set them apart was knowing how to debate on an intelligent and civil level, and accepting that they were not enemies, only opponents.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Exactly correct and properly stated
by Steven Haninger / May 13, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: They probably did.

Having opposing viewpoints does not have to create enemies. Unfortunately, I think "enemies" often feel obligated to automatically find cause to oppose each other on any issue....even ones they'd admit agreement too if on friendly terms. Happy

Collapse -
and you've just flamed conservatives again by saying
by Kiddpeat / May 12, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

that they are not 'concerned about what's happening to the little guy'.

It's hard to say whether you're arrogant, or just ignorant.

Collapse -
People who think......
by Rolway / May 12, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

They know everything upset those of us who do. eh

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :-)
by Angeline Booher / May 13, 2006 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: People who think......
Collapse -
Awwww geez, Rob!
by MarciaB / May 13, 2006 1:52 AM PDT

Why did you have to bring this up?

His thread was locked.

He got what he wanted (IMO). A chance to let off steam, and vindicate his assertion of mistreatment. He made it clear (to me) that he had no intention of being chased out of SE due to such; in fact he seemed to want an opportunity to state ''Bring it on!''

If you wanted to find out if he was leaving and/or debate the merits/demerits of SE, it could have been done through a private e-mail avenue. (If he doesn't have it turned on for a message through his profile, a request could have been made to him to contact you in a manner of your liking.)

You, the same as Woods-Hick, only wanted another opportunity to create discord here for your amusement.

I say - Knock it off.

It should be beneath you in regard to intelligence and social skills. I have higher expectations of you than what you are showing here. (Along with a few others, I might add) Happy

Take care,
--Marcia

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?