Desktops forum

General discussion

I totally screwed up!

I have Windows XP Home Ed. and use the latest version of MS Office, including using Outlook.

Today, I downloaded Avast, but after doing so, remembered why I hated it before. I also had downloaded Firefox, but couldn't get the favorites to import from IE.

Then things started freezing up.

So, I had a bright idea: Do a system restore to yesterday, thus getting rid of the two programs.

OMG, what a mess! When the cptr started up, first told me the Avast couldn't be installed. I thought, right, since it is no longer officially there. So, I did a search and sent the file to the recycle bin.

Then I ran my registry repair scan, which picked up five errors and I clicked the little "fix" button.

Then I tried to open Outlook and get the following message: extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: extend.dat File may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click properties to check your permission for the folder.

Had to do another search for the extend.dat file. Found THREE "extend" files, but none with the ".dat" tacked onto the end. However, right-clicking did show it was a data file. There was no "permission" thing when right-clicking - and I'm the only user of this computer.

However, when I moved it to "Outlook" (copy #3), it still didn't fix my error message.

The result in Outlook, as far as I can tell, is that I cannot initialize send/receive by hitting that on the toolbar or through using F9. I have been able to create new messages and the send/receive works then. I can also receive messages through the normally scheduled send/receive times.

Argh! What should I do?

katiebug

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I totally screwed up!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I totally screwed up!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry - figured it out

In reply to: I totally screwed up!

For anyone who reads this, I finally reinstalled Avast, then deleted it and it took care of my problems. Thanks to all who cared enough to look this far.

Katiebug

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for closng the loop

In reply to: Sorry - figured it out

Collapse -
Katiebug...

In reply to: Sorry - figured it out

A word about System Restore. I will NOT remove applications. It will only restore system settings and system files necessary for XP to work properly. This is a very common mistake so don't feel bad.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Good registry cleaner thing, I think

In reply to: Katiebug...

It restores the registry, right? Whenever something funky happens I restore it, and it says "Restoring Registry"

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Yeah, and one more thing

In reply to: Good registry cleaner thing, I think

What I found out was that deleting the AV program (sending it to trash) without deleting it from the system from the control panel was that it took a .dat file with it.

What I ended up doing was reinstalling the AV program, then deleting it properly through the control panel.

When I reinstalled it, it gave me back the file I needed for Outlook to work right. Crazy thing. But, I sweat a few bullets until I figured out what to do.

After that was done, I went back and recleaned the registry.

Thanks all!
Katiebug

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.