Storage forum

General discussion

I think the answer is, no.

by Dango517 / April 25, 2008 3:56 PM PDT

We have a "new to us" PC with XP installed on a hard drive that is formatted as FAT32. We have no recovery disk for this OS. Can we change it to NTFS without reformatting? (Here comes the, no. Happy ) Well then, can I move/copy it to another drive that is formatted NTFS? (Another, no.) Geeeez....that was no help.

So what are the risks of leaving it like it is?

Link provided to...other.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think the answer is, no.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think the answer is, no.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 9:16 PM PDT

As always, backup before any big changes and even those PCs that came with XP preinstalled had ways to make restore CDs. As to those pirate XP installs, you deserve all the trouble and no support.

-> Read http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Collapse -
Hummmmmm.........Pirate!
by Dango517 / April 26, 2008 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

I'm not sure if my Sister-in-law bought it or not but she's an honest Christian woman so I'm not going to ask her. It is genuine Microsoft Software. I had it activated and validated right away. People do loss the disks you know. You also know what the say about assuming.

Collapse -
Added note
by Willy / April 26, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

If you like get the restore/recovery CDs from the vendor if OEM and not a DIY or local store. Do this ASAP as XP won't be supported by OEMs as they phase more into Vista, etc..

As for FAT32->NTFS, this is done on the fly, if I recall right. Further, if this is a stuffed HD, be sure at least 10-20% free space is available. But, do a backup or safeguard important data before proceeding. Google for details for assurance.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
The drives are linked
by Dango517 / April 27, 2008 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Added note

There are two OSs on this system, a 98 (looks like basic) and an XP Pro.. There are component of the C: drive, XP on the 98, D: drive. They are linked together. I have not examined it for mount points yet but will when I have a week or two. The D: drive can not be reformatted nor can part of it be used for backup purposes because it is only 4 GBs and half full. A third drive could be added as the board has 3 SATA ports; the currently installed drives are IDE. This of course begs the question is the power supply big enough or whether the 1.1 GHz Celeron processor can support the needs of three drives?

Looks like this system will be a challenge to say the least.

One last question. I'm aware that there is an up grade path within OSs, say basic too professional but is there one form OSs to OS, say 98 too XP? The way things are going I'm going to guess, yes.

One last thought.....Grrrr, me buckO's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?